What to do

dpoole

Muscadine or persimmon

Al33

Persimmons will still be around after the grapes are gone but I would have a hard time not hunting the persimmons if they are ripe and dropping. Hunt them both, grapes in the morning and persimmons in the evening.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Or find a persimmon tree with a muscadine vine in it.

Barebowyer

Mike gave you the answer right there IMHO. That's what I would go with as well. I wouldn't hunt either in the morning unless you can get close undetected. But what do I know.....?

oldfella1962

Persimmons will still be around after the grapes are gone but I would have a hard time not hunting the persimmons if they are ripe and dropping. Hunt them both, grapes in the morning and persimmons in the evening.

will persimmons even be ripe anytime soon? Don't they ripen around November or so?

Al33

will persimmons even be ripe anytime soon? Don't they ripen around November or so?
I believe it depends on what part of the state they are in. I know in Warren Co. (East) where I hunted for 13 years the prime time for hunting persimmons was mid to late October. It only takes a few ripe ones dropping to bring in the critters. :)

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Muscadine are still dropping but at the end here at the house in middle Georgia. A lot of persimmons are still green but some trees are dropping ripe persimmons. Hunt the wind and the hottest sign. I prefer a dropping persimmon