What type of Oak tree is this?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say for sure from those seed leaves. Could be a chestnut oak, but also may be a regular white oak. The first little leaves they put out can be funky.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It does look like a "Swamp White Oak" that I saw online.
Except not many of those in the mountains. They are usually in limestone bedrock flatlands. When it gets mature leaves, they will probably look different than those. I'd say it's a regular white oak.

Ugahunter2013

Except not many of those in the mountains. They are usually in limestone bedrock flatlands. When it gets mature leaves, they will probably look different than those. I'd say it's a regular white oak.
That would be great if it is. My daughters picked up a few hundred when we were up there hiking just north of Clayton. They planted them and were hoping to sell some locally to make some extra money.

If they pick up some this year, ill probably get some better seed tubes to plant them in ,,, instead of the cups.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That would be great if it is. My daughters picked up a few hundred when we were up there hiking just north of Clayton. They planted them and were hoping to sell some locally to make some extra money.
I'd say either white oak or chestnut oak. Both are great trees. Post some more pics when they put on more leaves.

Anvil Head

NCH, think your first assessment was correct - regular white oak, but as you said seedlings can be tricky. Most of the chestnut oaks popping up on my property (about that size) are a bit narrower. However I have white oaks not looking much diff only a little broader.

DannyW

The acorn doesn't look like a normal white oak to me, too round.
But probably in the white oak family. Round tips.
I thought the same thing, white oak acorns around here are longer than they are wide. But I'm not an expert by any means.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The acorn doesn't look like a normal white oak to me, too round.
But probably in the white oak family. Round tips.
It's swelled up and germinated.

Latest posts