What type of Plant or Tree is this?

Mark K

Banned
I have video of a deer standing below my stand eating the privet leaves and shaking the privet bush/tree right next to my stand. It actually bumped into my stand maneuvering around the tree, lol.
I also have video of quail all under them and even fluttering up in the bushes to walk the limbs eating the berries. And if you know quail...they don’t flutter quietly! I can see where they can get out of control, but a few patches here and there sure does hold some game.

oldguy

Yep, that's thorny Eleagnus. It's nasty stuff. And privet is the scourge of the earth. If I could push a button right now and kill every privet bush in America, I would run to the button.
NO MAN! NO!
See #18 above. Surely you see SOME good in it. Ain't nothing that mowing/sawing down and a little Round-Up won't solve.
Not that it makes any difference at all (I sure don't care), but the "Hedges" in UGA stadium are privet! I worked on a grounds crew while in school. We used to trim 'em.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NO MAN! NO!
See #18 above. Surely you see SOME good in it. Ain't nothing that mowing/sawing down and a little Round-Up won't solve.
Not that it makes any difference at all (I sure don't care), but the "Hedges" in UGA stadium are privet! I worked on a grounds crew while in school. We used to trim 'em.
I've spent half of my life fighting and trying to eradicate Asian invasives. What little bit of good they do is 10,000x nullified by the harm they do. Sure, deer will eat privet. But, they will also eat the stuff that was growing there before the privet choked it out, the same stuff that they have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years.

Blackberry thickets, canebrakes, broomsedge and other native grasses, ragweeds, and all kinds of native plants provide better cover and food for deer, quail, and other wildlife than privet does. They use the privet because it choked out the other stuff that they would like even better. Privet is also allelopathic-they produce chemicals that kill or prevent the germination and growth of many native plants.

treemanjohn

Banned
It's definitely a ugly Agnes.

You want to kill every bit of Chinese privet that is on your property. There's a great reason why natives are not growing and deer are eating privet on your property, because nothing else can exist around it. It strangles everything. Hack and squirt every single one that you see and be done with him. It also doesn't number on the trees the live above it

oldguy

I've spent half of my life fighting and trying to eradicate Asian invasives. What little bit of good they do is 10,000x nullified by the harm they do. Sure, deer will eat privet. But, they will also eat the stuff that was growing there before the privet choked it out, the same stuff that they have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years.

Blackberry thickets, canebrakes, broomsedge and other native grasses, ragweeds, and all kinds of native plants provide better cover and food for deer, quail, and other wildlife than privet does. They use the privet because it choked out the other stuff that they would like even better. Privet is also allelopathic-they produce chemicals that kill or prevent the germination and growth of many native plants.
ANY LUCK?

oldguy

I'm just playing with you man. I respect your knowledge of plants. Makes me wonder what you do for a living and your educational background.
We have 46 acres that we've converted from ag land to long leaf pine. It already had privet thickets which prove challenging to keep in check. But a far bigger nuisance for me is china berry and red cedar that wants to invade my open "meadow". Gives a guy something to do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just playing with you man. I respect your knowledge of plants. Makes me wonder what you do for a living and your educational background.
We have 46 acres that we've converted from ag land to long leaf pine. It already had privet thickets which prove challenging to keep in check. But a far bigger nuisance for me is china berry and red cedar that wants to invade my open "meadow". Gives a guy something to do.
Horticulturist for the great state of NC, specializing in native plants, GIS mapping, and sometime writer.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I WANT PRIVET.
I GOT PRIVET.
True, privet is non-native and invasive, but when you take into account the myriad of wildlife that benefit from the food, cover, nesting sites,etc. that it provides I can't imagine a native plant that fulfills it's place- least not in SOWEGA.
I can certainly imagine many native plants that fill its place and do a much better job at it. And don't destroy everything around them. And that evolved with our wildlife. Chinese privet belongs back over there with the pandas and musk deer and sanbar stags and golden pheasants.

spencer12

This is the problem I have with privet. I can’t eradicate it (I’ve tried). So I’ve learned to live with it. When it gets about 4 feet or so the understory goes with it. That’s what I really try to promote, any native browse is my end goal.

nmurph

Garlon to knock it down. Safe on pines as long you don't get it on the needles.

Roundup on the young sprouts.

Fire!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This is the problem I have with privet. I can’t eradicate it (I’ve tried). So I’ve learned to live with it. When it gets about 4 feet or so the understory goes with it. That’s what I really try to promote, any native browse is my end goal.
Cut and paint the cut stubs with concentrated glyphosate or Garlon (triclopyr.) Paint it within minutes of cutting it.

oldguy

I can certainly imagine many native plants that fill its place and do a much better job at it. And don't destroy everything around them. And that evolved with our wildlife. Chinese privet belongs back over there with the pandas and musk deer and sanbar stags and golden pheasants.
I just gotta' ask, 'cause I been using this as a defense of privet for a long time. What native plant/plants can provide food, shelter and cover for such a wide variety of native wildlife. In other words if you removed privet from a fence-row what single native plant has so much to offer (not just for deer but rabbits, birds, insects, etc.)?
And man I dearly love the smell of (Japanese) honeysuckle in the summertime! I used to roll down the window of my truck and ride with my head hanging out the window as soon as I hit SOWEGA on my way home from Camp LeJune,NC.
Now I got native coral honeysuckle growing in my yard (I planted it). The hummingbirds love it. I love it. But it don't smell.
Went on a wildflower walk w/ a horticulture professor in the UGA botanical garden ('70s). Got to privet and he said. "This is D. old privet. It was introduced ten years after D. old honeysuckle!"
I always say it's the gooks way of getting back at us for the bomb!
Thanks for what you do for the great State of NC. I enjoyed my time there. Ever heard of the White Oak River or Bladen Lakes?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just gotta' ask, 'cause I been using this as a defense of privet for a long time. What native plant/plants can provide food, shelter and cover for such a wide variety of native wildlife. In other words if you removed privet from a fence-row what single native plant has so much to offer (not just for deer but rabbits, birds, insects, etc.)?
And man I dearly love the smell of (Japanese) honeysuckle in the summertime! I used to roll down the window of my truck and ride with my head hanging out the window as soon as I hit SOWEGA on my way home from Camp LeJune,NC.
Now I got native coral honeysuckle growing in my yard (I planted it). The hummingbirds love it. I love it. But it don't smell.
Went on a wildflower walk w/ a horticulture professor in the UGA botanical garden ('70s). Got to privet and he said. "This is D. old privet. It was introduced ten years after D. old honeysuckle!"
I always say it's the gooks way of getting back at us for the bomb!
Thanks for what you do for the great State of NC. I enjoyed my time there. Ever heard of the White Oak River or Bladen Lakes?
River cane, blackberry, broomsedge, greenbriar, sumac, poison ivy, eastern redcedar, possum grape, American holly, and many other native plants fill your niche.

And I'm on the pointy end of the state, not the flat end. :bounce:

nmurph

...Ever heard of the White Oak River or Bladen Lakes?

My grandparents and great grandparents called white oak home at the turn of the previous century.

My GG parents owned a general store in downtown White Oak and donated the land for the Children's home in Pembroke. I've swam in White Lake.

Hillbilly stalker

Privit is good for raising red bugs and copperheads around here. Good deer bedding, but so is a lot of other things

oldguy

River cane, blackberry, broomsedge, greenbriar, sumac, poison ivy, eastern redcedar, possum grape, American holly, and many other native plants fill your niche.

And I'm on the pointy end of the state, not the flat end. :bounce:
Got most all of those on our place and all over the coastal plain and I appreciate the contribution each makes to the ecosystem. But none of them exist in thickets that provide the food, shelter and cover that privet does. We ain't never gonna' come to an agreement on this so let's just agree to disagree and move on. You're one of my favorite posters on this site and like many others I value your knowledge and opinions.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Got most all of those on our place and all over the coastal plain and I appreciate the contribution each makes to the ecosystem. But none of them exist in thickets that provide the food, shelter and cover that privet does. We ain't never gonna' come to an agreement on this so let's just agree to disagree and move on. You're one of my favorite posters on this site and like many others I value your knowledge and opinions.
They sure do form thickets that do all of the above, but not if you let privet take over their niche. How you reckon our wildlife survived without Chinese privet for a couple hundred thousand years?

oldguy

My grandparents and great grandparents called white oak home at the turn of the previous century.

My GG parents owned a general store in downtown White Oak and donated the land for the Children's home in Pembroke. I've swam in White Lake.
Used to go up there from Camp LeJune to a rock quarry 1970s. Put the canoe in at a bridge and float into the quarry-lake after lake. Don't know if I ever visited them all. Dark tea colored water and big bream. Good times!

oldguy

They sure do form thickets that do all of the above, but not if you let privet take over their niche. How you reckon our wildlife survived without Chinese privet for a couple hundred thousand years?
Prolly just squeaked by waiting on the introduction of the one thing that would allow them to flourish - Chinese privet!!!:)

treemanjohn

Banned
This is the problem I have with privet. I can’t eradicate it (I’ve tried).

It's very easy to destroy. I just killed 4 acres of it totally last winter. I'm going after 2 more acres in a week. I'll post a video for the forum

I hack and squirt with straight RM43. It kills it forever and you don't risk over spray or spraying on yourself