What would you buy?

HeadHunter

I'm 20 and have recently been approved for my 2nd credit card with a $500 limit and no interest until Feb. of 2006. I haven't made any purchases with it because I am wanting to buy all hunting stuff for this season. Some things I am wanting to buy are...new portable tree stand, game camera, and a full leaf suit. With just $500, these 3 things will add up quickly..the thing I am asking is what brand of stand and camera would ya'll buy? Also, walmart seems to have cheaper leaf suits than bass pro so that's where I'll save some on a leaf suit. Thanks!

billy336

Dont't skimp on your leafy suit. But a high quality product, wash it inside out, and you will have a hunting garment you can hand down in a few years. I have always been a Walls fan. If you can get to Cordele to theiur outlet store you could save some $$$. I like the Ol' Man treestands for their strength, adaptability and comfort. Haven't looked into gme cams yet. Cuddeback seems to be the best on the market. But don't skimp on your clothing. Being comfortable will keep you in the stand longer and posing for photos sooner.

Trizey

As far as portable climbing stands, the Summit line is by far the best IMHO. Also a full safety harness comes with every Summit. :clap:

Invest in a good safe climber, comfortable camo and a Thermocell.

Burl E.

Buy a used stand from one of your buddies, Wally World has some game cameras for about $69, get a cargo net( 1" sq.) and some camo burlap or jute rope and make you a gillie suit. Take the other $300.00 and save it for another day. By deer season you might see that you need something you didn't think about.

HORTON

Summit

I'm like the others. Buy it with cash if you can. The great thing about deer hunting, is that it can be very cheap.

If you do buy a stand though, go with the "Summit". Its above all others, no pun intended. I've used Summits for over 15 years.
I'd also buy the "Stealthcam" from Wal-Mart for $70. I've got 3 of them and am pleased with the quality of pictures.
You certainly don't want to spend all that money on a digital camera and have it stolen.

Good luck.

RThomas

Good advise, LT.

If you can't afford to pay with it in cash, then don't put it on the card. Ideally, you want to pay off anything that you put on the card before the interest kicks in. If you cant pay it off when you buy it, then you probably wont be able to pay if off when the bill comes.
Not to get on a soapbox, but you dont want to start depening on credit cards. Save up, pay cash and save the card for emergencies! You'll thank me later :)

dixie

Card

I'd go one more step, CUT that card up, take what would be your payment, save it each month then when you save enough pay cash for what you want. We all need credit, BUT, those cards can and will eat you alive with interest rates, Your interest rate is subject to go up even if your late with a payment that has NOTHING to do with your credit card lender. My advise would be, if you feel you REALLY have to have that card, to both use the card and save money is, buy only small items with your card and pay off the balance each month, and keep saving. that way, you have most of what you want/need and your building up your credit score.

Last edited:

Woody52

I'm with Dixie, PAY CASH. I work in the Real Estate business, and see people every day with credit that has been shot to pieces since they were 18, due to those same "No intrest" offers. Now they need to be in a home and can't qualify because they put a bunch of clothes or a set of rims on their credit card.

Only borrow when you can afford to pay it off.

Last edited:

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
dixie said:
I'd go one more step, CUT that card up, take what would be your payment, save it each month then when you save enough pay cash for what you want. We all need credit, BUT, those cards can and will eat you alive with interest rates, Your interest rate is subject to go up even if your late with a payment that has NOTHING to do with your credit card lender. My advise would be, if you feel you REALLY have to have that card, to both use the card and save money is, buy only small items with your card and pay off the balance each month, and keep saving. that way, you have most of what you want/need and your building up your credit score.
I'll ditto that.....
HHH

gabowman

Understanding that at your age and wanting to build credit is fine, just make sure that when you use the card you also put the cash in your checking account so you can pay the credit card bill off as soon as you receive it. (This way there's no interest to pay AND you're building credit.) It's easy to say "charge it" but it'll get you in some real serious trouble if you aint careful. Oh, and use that card to pick you up a thermacell and a few refills too. :D

Racor

I'll agree with the majority. Don't use the credit card. Buy some used equipment or look for another method of getting the job done. Credit cards cause a lot of problems! If you can't pay for it in cash then might want to rethink the "need".

beginnersluck

My advice to you is save all the money you can...debt mounts up in a hurry! Buy some cheap camo to get you by. Don't worry about a game cam yet...if there are deer around, you'll see the sign. Invest in a ?used? good, safe treestand (climbers are more versatile), and buy 2 boxes of bullets (for sighting in and practice...and save a few to hunt with!). When the time comes for you to splurge...you'll have the money to mount the trophy you took!

franklinm

There is sound advice here put it in the bank and keep it .
pay as you go you will be much better off down the road .

E

edge

I also agree. Don't use that card!! For your OWN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::;

BowArrow

If you don't have self-control when it comes to credit card use, cut the card up.

On the other hand, you do need to establish a good credit rating if you ever need to borrow large sums of money. One way to do this is borrow money from the bank or use your credit card and pay it off promptly. You can start by borrowing $500.00 for a short period of time from you bank, put it in your savings account and when it comes due, withdraw the $500.00 and pay it off. You can use this process increasing the amount each time until your credit limit has increased to an acceptable limit. It will cost a small amount of interest but will build your credit rating. Your goal should be to get your credit above the 800 rating.

This is especially important to women who may have lost a spouse and have not established any credit during the time they were married.

Last edited:

ryanwhit

As others have said--save your money, pay with cash. Save that credit card for an emergency like when your truck breaks down or something.

IMO, you don't NEED a leafy suit...guys killed thousands of deer with blue-jeans, an plaid shirt or jacket, and a 30-30.

You don't NEED a game camera. Heck, a few years ago nobody had em.

Get yourself a SAFE comfy tree-stand, full body harness, and some regular camo that'll work. Learn to use natural things in the woods as your camo, too. It's more important to have the right layers underneath that'll keep you warm and comfortable than to have something on the outside that we (humans) think is harder for deer to see.

After a few years of savin money, you'll be able to buy whatever stand, camo, gun, cameras you want ;)

MoeBirds

Well if he doesn't take our advice, he'll surely be giving the same to 20 year-olds when he's in debt up to his eyeballs at 30 ...and saying to himself...."hmmm....I should've listened to those old farts on that GON Forum" :bounce: !?

CUT EM UP :( !!!!!!!!..........It's an Uncle Sam Scam :mad: !!!!

.....If ya live in the country, and not in the city, ya don't need credit anyway :fine: !!!!

Ya work hard for it, ya bank it, ya buy it,.. ya don't, ya don't,....well then....ya don't.