Whatcha know bout 25-06?

dtala

I have probably killed over 100 deer with a Rem 700 25/06. I shot a 100gr Hornady SP a 3400fps. It killed like a laser beam on most hits. Up close that bullet was too fragile and exploded on bone. Use a 100gr Nosler Partition for better performance, esp on big deer or up close. Very flay shooting and mild recoil.

Stroker

Never shot one
Make sure to use good ear plugs or muffs when shooting from the bench, it's got a pretty good muzzle blast. I used the 120's for deer in the woods, 100's for anything over 200 yards, and 85 BT for long range varmints.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yes sir, im now huntin with plugs ready to put in if I have the chances.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
When I was a poor country kid in Carroll County with young children and could afford only one rifle, that was my go to caliber. I hand loaded bullets from 85 grain ballistic tips to 120 grain soft points. The smaller bullets were super explosive on crows and smaller varmints, but I felt the bigger bullets were necessary for deer. I found a good hot load for a 100 grain ballistic tip that worked well for most purposes and went mostly with that. I was a 25-06 fanatic. I could shoot the rifle with my eyes open without flinching. But penetration was often lacking and the lack of exit wounds sometimes made tracking a deer that had moved dead on its feet a few yards tough.
These days I have plenty of deer rifles and rarely bring out the 25-06 anymore. I like the heavier bullets of my 308 in the woods and 7 mag in the open. The 308's short action and carbine length barrel is particularly handy in the woods and tree stands. And although the long range accuracy of the 25 was superb, I feel that the 7 mag is a better long range deer killer.
Good luck with yours, they sure are easy to fall in love with.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
When I was a poor country kid in Carroll County with young children and could afford only one rifle, that was my go to caliber. I hand loaded bullets from 85 grain ballistic tips to 120 grain soft points. The smaller bullets were super explosive on crows and smaller varmints, but I felt the bigger bullets were necessary for deer. I found a good hot load for a 100 grain ballistic tip that worked well for most purposes and went mostly with that. I was a 25-06 fanatic. I could shoot the rifle with my eyes open without flinching. But penetration was often lacking and the lack of exit wounds sometimes made tracking a deer that had moved dead on its feet a few yards tough.
These days I have plenty of deer rifles and rarely bring out the 25-06 anymore. I like the heavier bullets of my 308 in the woods and 7 mag in the open. The 308's short action and carbine length barrel is particularly handy in the woods and tree stands. And although the long range accuracy of the 25 was superb, I feel that the 7 mag is a better long range deer killer.
Good luck with yours, they sure are easy to fall in love with.
I know a .308 but instead of 7 mag I just hunt harder.:ROFLMAO:

Horns

I had one that I got in a trade. It was a single shot NEF. I was gonna use it as a wet weather gun and never got around to it. Had it for 2 or 3 years. That is what got me interested in getting another