What's a better deer bullet in a .243, Sierra 100 gr ProHunter, or 100 gr Nosler Partition?

Steven037

I have had great success with Nosler Partitions, 100 grain, for a long time now. Shooting the 6mm ARC last year and this year with 90 grain eldx and 103grain eldx and have been very pleased. It’s a different cartridge but still uses a .243 bullet. Taken three deer and several hogs out to 200 yards. All one shot and all recovered.

pacecars

I would also try some Barnes Vor-TX 80 gr TTSX ammo if you can find it. I have been using the Barnes 53 gr TSX in a .223 Rem and it has worked extremely well. My longest shot at deer with it was at a ranged 360 yards and it broke the shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder. Most shots with it were under 100 yards and it has broken both shoulders on broadside shots. I don’t like to track and I haven’t had to with this bullet

Bobby Bigtime

Better bullets have transformed many calibers into better killers. Back in the day many of the varmint cartridges like the 6mm, 243, 22-250 were considered taboo for big game hunting the 250 Savage was the gap bridger. Now nobody thinks twice about using them ( myself included)

pacecars

Very true. Modern bullets are game changers. When they started designing bullets for .22 cal that could hold together and penetrate everything changed for the better. It made recoil sensitive shooters capable of hunting big game. I love my big thumpers but it it nice to shoot without recoil also

I like the 100 grain nosler partition. My 6mm model seven shoots decent groups with them but not great. Terminal performance is phenomenal though. It will blow through both shoulders even at close range.

flintlock hunter

It blows me away that folks are referring to rifles that are shooting an inch or under as "ok"

I loved that comment! I didn't mention that I do most of my own gunsmithing, especially bedding the action, and trying both full length barrel bedding, and floating the barrel to see what does best. Also handload to work up best loading for each rifle my wife and I have.

Prior to our recent move, ground hogs were the quarry, with 12 and 20 Ga slug guns doing our deer work. This may clear up why a hunter in my advanced years is asking opinions from hunters who have the expeience with rifles on deer.

My rifles for groundhogs all did at least half inch @ 100 yds. That's probably the reason I look at a MOA rifle as just ok. Maybe I should also ask about the groups you fellas think are good for long range deer hunting.

Just an after thought: My Savage 220 grouped 1 1/2" @ 100/ 3" @ 200yds and I found that ok and acceptable for a gun I limited my shots with to about 150yds.

Magowah

I have shot and killed deer with my son's 243 with Corelocks, the Nosler ballistic tips, partition bullets, pro hunter, Barnes 85 gr TXS and the newer Barnes 80 grain TTXS. Either of the Barnes win HANDS DOWN over all the others. One shot, TWO holes, incredible internal damage, and 100% weight retention.

SC Hunter

I've owned a 243 for 12 years now and killed alot of deer with them including my biggest deer so far. I've killed deer from 20 yards to 280 yards via rangefinder with one. Corelokts, power points, partitions, ttsx, Hornady interlocs have all killed deer. The Winchester power points were impressive out of my 243's and did the best. Very rarely have I had deer run off out of sight with most just crumbling where they stood at. I'd take a 243 over a big magnum about any day for deer.

Bobby Bigtime

I've owned a 243 for 12 years now and killed alot of deer with them including my biggest deer so far. I've killed deer from 20 yards to 280 yards via rangefinder with one. Corelokts, power points, partitions, ttsx, Hornady interlocs have all killed deer. The Winchester power points were impressive out of my 243's and did the best. Very rarely have I had deer run off out of sight with most just crumbling where they stood at. I'd take a 243 over a big magnum about any day for deer.
Our 243 also likes the Winchester power points as well and they are a nice deer bullet. The federal fusion 95 grain tipped a couple of deer over for our daughter . The power points shoot a bit under an inch we didn't actually check the fusions on paper just smoked a beer can at a hundred yards.(like the old days ?)

flintlock hunter

One of my new neighbors hunts deer with a .243, and he mentioned he drops 90% of his deer where they stand. Had a bunch of questions for him about it, and he says neck and head shots are all he'll take. There's a pretty nice 10 pt hanging on his wall.

I asked what bullet he uses, and he answered "whatever shoots into a pie plate". I figured Jester896 might like hearing that one. The guy also has a reputation as a great offhand shot.

A bit off subject, but I found it interesting.