What's going on here? Rem 700 issue

ssramage

Not really sure what's going on, but I've been having issues with my Rem 700 .25-06 ever since replacing the stock trigger with a Timney. I'll admit, I am NOT in any fashion a competent gunsmith so I'm thinking I screwed something up in the install.

Long story short, the internal magazine on the gun will not load bullets consistently. A lot of times they'll bind up and they do not eject when cycling the bolt. At the end of the season I noticed a couple of major issues with the bullets that I cycled out after missing 2 deer with no explanation. As you can see, the tip on one is smashed and the neck on the other is cracked.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

.25-06.jpg

Meriwether Mike

Wrong angle on brass? 25-06 brass vs 257 Weatherby magnum brass?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The flattened tip is due to recoil. Firing the gun drives it rearward and the bullets in the magazine slam into the front of the magazine.
The feeding issue sounds like the cartridge spring is not installed correctly.
Split case is most likely an issue with that lot of brass or possibly just that one case where the brass was not annealed properly.

rosewood

The flattened tip is due to recoil. Firing the gun drives it rearward and the bullets in the magazine slam into the front of the magazine.
Hmm, something I had never considered. I can see that physically happening. Funny, I have seen revolvers pull bullets from recoil, but never considered this happening in a rifle.

That would take a lot of recoil I would think though. Does a 25-06 have that much?

Rosewood

rosewood

Factory loaded ammo
That is quite odd to see factory ammo split. It is usually reloads that needed to be annealed that it happens to.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm betting it is a magazine issue as well. Either the box isn't in right or there is an issue with the follower.

If it single feeds correctly and goes bang...the trigger is in right.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Hmm, something I had never considered. I can see that physically happening. Funny, I have seen revolvers pull bullets from recoil, but never considered this happening in a rifle.

That would take a lot of recoil I would think though. Does a 25-06 have that much?

Rosewood
The exposed lead on Pointed Soft Point bullets is, well, soft.
I have had tips flatten to various degrees in many cartridges. Some lead tips are softer than others.
A 120gr 25/06 has approx 12.5ftlb of recoil the same as a 150gr 30/30. A 150gr .308 about 15.5ftlb.
3ftlb difference will still flatten soft lead.
I believe the ballistic tips were once marketed as not to deform in magazines under recoil at one time, its definitely a "thing" with soft point tips.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it probably isn't hitting the feed ramp properly and shoving it harder flattened the point. As many times as I have done this the thing that gives me the most trouble is the mag box. Even if the mag box is incorrectly installed the follower may seem to be working fine. The angle is just wrong to feed properly. Especially if it worked correctly prior to the trigger change. The scallop goes in the front and the box has to be seated properly. You may not have taken the follower off of the floor plate so that may not be the issue.

Is it a BDL?

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think the follower got put in backwards.
it is a possibility if he took it apart. If he didn't it only goes on the floor plate one way. if the back of the mag box isn't seated right it won't strip a round smoothly either.

rosewood

it probably isn't hitting the feed ramp properly and shoving it harder flattened the point. As many times as I have done this the thing that gives me the most trouble is the mag box. Even if the mag box is incorrectly installed the follower may seem to be working fine. The angle is just wrong to feed properly. Especially if it worked correctly prior to the trigger change. The scallop goes in the front and the box has to be seated properly. You may not have taken the follower off of the floor plate so that may not be the issue.

Is it a BDL?
That is kind of what I was thinking.

Ray357

AWOL
Not really sure what's going on, but I've been having issues with my Rem 700 .25-06 ever since replacing the stock trigger with a Timney. I'll admit, I am NOT in any fashion a competent gunsmith so I'm thinking I screwed something up in the install.

Long story short, the internal magazine on the gun will not load bullets consistently. A lot of times they'll bind up and they do not eject when cycling the bolt. At the end of the season I noticed a couple of major issues with the bullets that I cycled out after missing 2 deer with no explanation. As you can see, the tip on one is smashed and the neck on the other is cracked.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

View attachment 1067295
You put the follower and follower spring back in backwards is my first guess.

bullgator

Also check the ejector on the bolt face and see if it is stuck or still able to move under tension.