What's going on here? Rem 700 issue

rugerfan

How old is the ammo? The brass looks aged to me, as if the ammo is old, or has been exposed to some types of elements for an extended period of time. I have some old factory loaded 30-06 ammo with brass that looks like that, somewhere past 25 years old. I often wonder it is safe to shoot. Have only had a case neck split like that on older reloaded brass ( usually when I am exceeding what is considered safe loads). But that is another story! :eek:

As far as the flattening the tip of the bullet, I would concur with the follower is not in correctly, and possibly the spring is not correct.

Jester896

Senior Clown
looking at the picture if the round on the right has the neck crack right there in the middle...it could be the same problem. It looks like the bullet may be pushed into the case a little because the cannalure isn't visible anymore...then with the repeated shoving of the bolt on the round the pressure of that didn't really damage the tip but flexed the case neck so much that it cracked...might be off base...but that could cause a crack in the neck of an unfired round:huh: I'll post a picture of how the follower should look from the top when I get home later to see if it helps narrow it down.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
can't get straight over it the scope is in the way. Front of the rifle is--->
IMG_0154.jpg

This is how it hooks to the floor plate...front--->

IMG_0155.jpg
this would be the front ---> or what it would look like from the top

IMG_0156.jpg

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
What say you Steven? Did you mess with anything other than the trigger assembly?

ssramage

Sorry guys. It's been a heck of a week and I totally forgot about this thread. Honestly, it's been a while since I've had it apart. I'll take it apart this weekend, and check the items mentioned here, with pics if needed.

I replaced the trigger a couple of years ago and have been fighting with feeding/ejection issues since then. Works great as a single shot, not so much with more than 1 round. I honestly don't remember what all came apart in the install, only that it hasn't worked correctly since then. The ammo issues were noted at the end of the season this year though after some accuracy issues. I haven't put it on the bench to shoot since season though since ammo has been hard to find. The ammo is probably a couple of years old. I keep it in a stock sleeve on the rifle year round though until it's shot.

Jester896

Senior Clown
@ssramage you took the floor plate off when you took the stock off to replace the trigger. Since you said it works single shot the trigger part is correct. It will most likely be the follower or more likely the mag box. From the picture I posted, you should be able to tell if it is the follower and that can be corrected without disassembly. If that isn't it... it is the mag box and you will have to take it back apart.

Last edited: