Whats killing my guineas?

CurLee

Broke down and bought some guinea keets a few months back. Turned em out after 7 or 8 weeks into a 6ft kennel. Clipped both wings but that didn't keep em.

Anyway, I turned out seven and I just heard number 3 get kilt. By the time I ran in the house for a flashlight and firearm all was quiet. They sneak off into the woods to roost but I don't know where. All have disappeared at night. I assume they are roosting in trees which makes me think either an owl or a bobcat is to blame. We have reds in the area but have not seen nor trapped a grey fox.
Not real familiar with guinea fowl or their roosting habits but I imagine they're up in the tree a ways?

longrangedog

You'll eventually lose all if you don't build a coop for them to roost in. You'll still lose some because they build their nest on the ground in a place where they're hidden from view and will get eaten when on the nest.

CurLee

Well turns out they got one and winged another. One wing is hangin by a thread. So two more down, three to go....

I dont know why I didn't consider coons. They're thick too, couldn't keep em out of my canine sets last year. Gonna have to order some DPs.

They have a coop they were raised in but they won't return to it. They do me no good if I penned them up.

Nic, I had something getting my chickens at at a different house, one a night for three days straight. I set a live trap, suspecting a coon or possum, and dang if I didn't catch an owl. Thing was as big as the cage and claws over an inch long. Let him go and he never came back.

Toliver

The answer to your question is Everything! Everything kills guineas. Sometimes I think the guineas seek out predators and commit suicide. We can't keep them either. They just feed the predators; sacrificing themselves to save the chickens and ducks.

ghadarits

I was trapping pigeons early one morning right as they were coming off roost and had a GHO take one out of the 50 or so that were around the trap. It was a year before I could get pigeons to come back to that spot. They are awesome hunter/killers.

OleCountryBoy

Can’t stand em either, my wife almost talked me into getting a few to help control ticks..I’d rather deal with a few ticks around the house.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
What’s with the guinea hate? Was about to get some. My granny used to have them and there wasn’t a snake anywhere around.

AceOfTheBase

Many years ago my dad had a dozen, started loosing them, caught a neigborhood dog do'n it - the dog disappered ! Stopped loosing them.

shakey gizzard

Quit clippin their wings ! they make better guard dogs than they do tick eaters. They are not native!