whats the difference?

FESTUSHAGGIN

i may be asking a stupid question but i was driving through cumming today and i saw a 2nd baptist church. whats the difference between a 1st and a 2nd baptist. i have absolutely no idea. sorry if this is a stupid question but somebody enlighten me.

HMwolfpup

the difference is 1::ke:

sorry, couldn't resist...I have no idea what the real difference is other than maybe since there was already a 1st, maybe they couldn't come up with another name for the 2nd

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
There is a First and Second Baptist in Murphy,NC. I guess the First was established first??????

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Dogone boy why does it matter?

GeauxLSU

Now there's a question I always wondered too. You gotta' be kidding me? Nobody knows?? :huh:

Pilgrim

Not sure. I know of a Tenth Presbyterian up in Philly. You'd think they could be a little more creative than that! There's probably more to it than I know.:confused:

Double Barrel BB

The difference is the 1st baptist was more than likely established first in that town, and instead of the 2nd baptist coming up with another name they just decided on 2nd. Doesn't make any sense to me...

Mrs. Arrow3

Yeah, I've never known if there was an actual reason for that or not myself. I've just always assumed like others have, that the Second Baptist was the second Baptist church in that area, and they just weren't creative enough to think of another name. Kinda crazy to me. In my hometown, my church is First Baptist, and all the other Baptist churches have different names.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Well knowing baptist the way i do, (tongue in cheek here) there was probably a group from the first baptist that got mad and decided to start their own church:bounce:

Oldstick

Must have been the popular choice for names a long time ago. Seems like most of the ones named this way were founded in the early 1900s, even 1800s and most are a mainstay fixture in the middle of some town or city. Just another guess from the peanut gallery.

SBG

Branchminnow said:
Well knowing baptist the way i do, (tongue in cheek here) there was probably a group from the first baptist that got mad and decided to start their own church:bounce:

Sad, but true.

toridak'sgirl

Branchminnow said:

that was just wrong

cowboyron

Branchminnow said:
I would have to agree with Branch.....sounds like a division to me.
The Church of Nazarene just had a big split here in Trenton. The group that went away have built a new Church under a complete different name.

Randy

Branchminnow said:

Actually you are closer to the answer than you think. Some did not like some of the beliefs others had so they left and started their own. Of course now one believes the other is wrong and is going to ......and the other believes the other is wrong and is going to .....

Of course the Methodists believe they are both wrong and going to .....

But then again the Catholics could be right and we are all doomed to ....

So many beliefs. Who is right? Only one can be if any.

GeauxLSU

Does nobody really know the answer to this question?

A lot of assuming going on but nobody belongs to the 2nd Baptist Church of something or other and can tell us for certain.

If it really is due to a division, why would you choose '2nd' for a name? That automatically sounds subordinate. Why not just choose another name altogether? :huh:

Randy

GeauxLSU said:
why would you choose '2nd' for a name? That automatically sounds subordinate.:huh:

My 2nd wife does not think so.:banginghe