Whats The Name Of This Trash?

DSGB

Japanese stiltgrass

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
^^Yep. Microstegium, aka Japanese stilt grass. It's the devil in shady areas, I hate that stuff. I've never seen anything eat it. The only good news is that it's an annual and fairly easy to kill with Roundup. It usually has a good seed bank in the soil though, so it usually takes a few years to get rid of it. .

Tight Lines

^^Yep. Microstegium, aka Japanese stilt grass. It's the devil in shady areas, I hate that stuff. I've never seen anything eat it. The only good news is that it's an annual and fairly easy to kill with Roundup. It usually has a good seed bank in the soil though, so it usually takes a few years to get rid of it. .

I have a bunch of this in my shady areas about to be sprayed...it is growing where I've been removing the privet and kudzu. The goats we rented ate it, but begrudgingly, and last...but they don't kill it...

treemanjohn

Banned
Thanks. I hate to spray round up but I will. I have tons of deer and they dont touch it. I typically keep it cut down and clover will take it over but I'm done with it

Tight Lines

Thanks. I hate to spray round up but I will. I have tons of deer and they dont touch it. I typically keep it cut down and clover will take it over but I'm done with it

Same here, hate to hit it with herbicide but the deer are not eating and the goats didn't either...it really grows well in the shady low lying areas...