What's the purpose of the Holy Spirit in one sentence?

Madman

come on gordon where are we going with this? Are getting input for a masters paper?

gordon 2

I'm not going anywhere. I'm am in fellowship---plain and simple. I have no agenda...except honesty. I take it you find the topic interesting? Where do you what to go? Oh. Wait I'm curious how many will venture a reply in truth... and how fast it will be. From this I might develop a" going with this" experience. The replies to the bible's purpose tread were remarkable. I had hoped for something similar...??? Ideas? Quickly many were comfortable stating in one sentence what the purpose of the bible was. Could it be that the comfort level is not the same for the Church or the Holy Spirit? In any case I also wish to receive more fully of my Lord and sometimess His presence within my brothers rubs off on me. :)

Nope on masters. I'm happy as a bachelor thank you. :)

Last edited:

Madman

I like the topics. I really want to see how "the Church" fleshes out.

God's peace

DLH_Woodstock

The purpose of the Holy Spirit as I understand it is to convict the sinner and the saved of sins as well as empower the believer to do great things for God.

gordon 2

The purpose of the Holy Spirit as I understand it is to convict the sinner and the saved of sins as well as empower the believer to do great things for God.

If you can, can you explain what you mean by "to convict the sinner and the saved of sins"... I have read this many times... am not sure what it means? I ask not to judge you, or to stir any pot, but because I really don't know what it means. Can you help by explaining what it means to you and possible others in the context of your life?

Israel

BANNED
I don't know that the uncreated can suffer a purpose assigned by man.

gordon 2

I don't know that the uncreated can suffer a purpose assigned by man.

I'm sorry but when you are to one sentence or a simple paragragh with subject, verb, compliment, I have a hard time to follow. Could you make this say at least three paragraphs... with some paths ( bifurcations), double entendre, due your fractal designed though processes? I'm more accustomed to those. :)

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
I'm sorry but when you are to one sentence or a simple paragragh with subject, verb, compliment, I have a hard time to follow. Could you make this say at least three paragraphs... with some paths ( bifurcations) due your fractal designed though processes? I'm more accustomed to those. :)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I get it. And I have been a little reluctant to post to it.

And I would appear more than obtuse if I said I didn't think I know what you meant.

But, as it stands...do you see it is not far (if at all) to asking "what is the purpose of God?"

And it can bifurcate in meaning (at least once) to "what purposes does God purpose?"..or, instead..."what is the reason for God?" or "why is God?" Why does God exist? But I do not believe that is what you meant.

But I believe you are meaning, though I do appear obtuse "What is (or are) the purposes of the Holy Spirit's purpose." (For us, or to us)

And the matter that piques me is perhaps the too easy inference that we might make in the meaning..."Of course the gentleman means 'what to us, or for us is the purpose of the Holy Spirit'?" And that is my sticking point (though not a great one, at all) that our first reference is always assumed, or perhaps, too easily assumed, to us.

For before we even knew ourselves to have being the Spirit is. And too easily referencing ourselves for the ascription of purpose...is I believe...one of the works of the Holy Spirit even, to show. It is far too easy that we self reference...and also far too attractive to a certain way of thinking (abetted by an enemy)...that is altogether for us...unsafe. And I believe the Spirit would show us how we were taken advantage of in such thinking, and encourages us, not to the more of "looking away" from ourselves to the purpose of our shame by it...but that by that looking away...we are able to see what is (Who IS), and by that seeing even find a (the) safety in it.

If I put too fine a point or look to be contentious I ask you to forgive me.

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit will not speak of Himself, but take what is of Jesus Christ to make Him known to us, and I believe I see why the Lord pronounced a certain sin so egregious as I trust each disciple has considered with some Holy fear.

Jesus humbled Himself to exalt the Father...and now another humbles Himself to speak of the humble one who gave Himself for us. It is (in my mind as though) "This is as humble as "it" gets friends"...and to impugn the One who has humbled Himself to the Humble One...well, God forbid and forgive I go on if this be wrong thinking.

The Father is very jealous for His Son's name for His humbling of Himself to Him.

It's interesting...is it not that Jesus said this in reference to Himself and what could be suffered:

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

He did not say any word against the son of man "can" be forgiven. Or, "Might be forgiven"...but will be.

I often experience a sort of fracturing in certain considerations...

Last edited:

DLH_Woodstock

If you can, can you explain what you mean by "to convict the sinner and the saved of sins"... I have read this many times... am not sure what it means? I ask not to judge you, or to stir any pot, but because I really don't know what it means. Can you help by explaining what it means to you and possible others in the context of your life?

To convict someone is of course is to judge one guilty. The great thing about the Holly Spirit is he brings you me us to judge ourselves as guilty. When I judge you guilty you will get mad at me, but when you judge yourself there is no one to get mad at. When I realize I have done something wrong I become convicted in my spirit by the Holly Spirit of what I have done, which causes me to repent and ask to be forgiven.