What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Quail hunting back in the 60s I found a sedan well off the public dirt road and hidden from passing view. The engine was not running and the car was not rolling but it was moving as if some magic hand were shaking it. At a distance of about 20 yards I fired a shot in the air and even though no one got into or out of the vehicle, it cranked itself and just like that it was gone in a cloud of dust.

I figured it might have been a lookout for one of the local bootleggers. Who knows-

bilgerat

Senior
Quail hunting back in the 60s I found a sedan well off the public dirt road and hidden from passing view. The engine was not running and the car was not rolling but it was moving as if some magic hand were shaking it. At a distance of about 20 yards I fired a shot in the air and even though no one got into or out of the vehicle, it cranked itself and just like that it was gone in a cloud of dust.

I figured it might have been a lookout for one of the local bootleggers. Who knows-
was it a 58 fury?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 1958-plymouth-christine-88530.jpg
    1958-plymouth-christine-88530.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 11

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That would have stuck in my memory, faulty though it is.

krizia829

Not a weird find, but I remember riding the atv's with my brother and my parents when I was about 10 down a random dirt road in Alabama. We found tombstones from the 1800's. Thought it was pretty neat.

I have yet to find anything weird, or cool. I do however see many illusions just before daybreak lol those branches mess with me pretty good

Darkhorse

Many years ago in about 71' I was hunting a piece of property owned by my uncle. To get there I drove through Ideal and took a dirt road west, after a few miles I passed the last house but was still a long way from the property.
If anybody knows this portion of Georgia I bet it's still wild and secluded. Just imagine how it was all those years ago. Anyway I hunted the afternoon till dark thirty. And I mean dark thirty as there was no moon as I walked back to my truck. Then I saw lights. Truck lights I assumed. But they started coming towards me as I walked faster. Seemed like they were right there but never seemed to actually get to me.
I never paniced but I was spooked big time.
I finally got to the truck and got out of there fast.
The next morning I went in at first light not before. And after the hunt I looked for the road that truck had to of been on. But there was no road, no tracks, no sign of human presence at all.
I finally figured it was St. Elmo's fire. First and only time I've seen it.
And that was enough for me.

KlaxAttack

Many years ago, in the dimming forest, I stumbled upon a tree with a flickering light. Now I would say it was a red laser pointer, but back then, they didn't seem to exist, or I didn't know about them. Moreover, at some point, the light split into two or three, I can't remember, and ran along different branches. There was definitely no one nearby at that time. I still don't know what it was.

ghadarits

Not a hunting find but a launching kayaks in the yellow river story. I found a dead person in a well in Gwinnett County when I was 16 so that was in 1981. I went to a pay phone and called the po po. They questioned me like l was a suspect. I should have learned not to report stuff that's none of my business then but nooooo. Fast forward to 2016 its a Friday in October and I'm fishing the upper Tugaloo on Lake Hartwell when I hear a plane engine start revving and dying then revving again and watch a plane spiral down knowing anyone on board was probably going to die. I felt very helpless in that moment so I did the only thing I could think of to help. I triangulated the plane and called the po po like a dummy. They showed up at my house by land without a lake map even after I told them to bring one so I could show them where it went down. I gave them one of my maps and I was within 400 yards of the main crash site. This started on Friday the NTSB was still questioning me on Sunday. the reason they said that they were questioning me so much was because I said it lost its left wing when I called 911 and they didn't understand how I would know that. I asked them if they'd ever made a paper airplane and they said yes they had. I then asked them what happened when one wing was shorter than the other.... It spins in the direction of the short wing.... I finally told them I didn't shoot the plane down in colorful language and asked if they thought I had a surface to air missile in my boat? Then asked them to leave.

Last edited: