What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

bilgerat

Senior
A friend and I were playing in a creek behind deer camp In Putnam county back in the late 60s, We found a round metal ball about the size of a baseball burred in the creek bank. We tried to dig it out but it was attached to a larger rounded object about 6 inches in diameter . We went back to camp and told our dads about it and they came down to take a look. After some more digging we discovered it was alot bigger than we thought. Our dads decided to go get the jeep and they attached a cable to it and snatched it out of the mud, It was a 5' long cannon barrel and was heavy!!! It was corroded really bad and hard to tell exactly what it was made of . We drug it back to camp and got it loaded into the back of dads truck. Dad took it to a friend of his who was a history professor at Emory in Atlanta and after a few days he called and said it was a cast Iron civil war 3 "ordinance gun!!! We donated. {not my idea} it to the cyclorama in Atlanta and they cleaned it up and put it on display with a small plaque with my friend and mines name on it and the county it was found in

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
A friend and I were playing in a creek behind deer camp In Putnam county back in the late 60s, We found a round metal ball about the size of a baseball burred in the creek bank. We tried to dig it out but it was attached to a larger rounded object about 6 inches in diameter . We went back to camp and told our dads about it and they came down to take a look. After some more digging we discovered it was alot bigger than we thought. Our dads decided to go get the jeep and they attached a cable to it and snatched it out of the mud, It was a 5' long cannon barrel and was heavy!!! It was corroded really bad and hard to tell exactly what it was made of . We drug it back to camp and got it loaded into the back of dads truck. Dad took it to a friend of his who was a history professor at Emory in Atlanta and after a few days he called and said it was a cast Iron civil war 3 "ordinance gun!!! We donated. {not my idea} it to the cyclorama in Atlanta and they cleaned it up and put it on display with a small plaque with my friend and mines name on it and the county it was found in
I believe I’d have cleaned it up and mounted on a carriage and kept it til the hearse hauled
Me off

bilgerat

Senior
I believe I’d have cleaned it up and mounted on a carriage and kept it til the hearse hauled
Me off
I was 8 or 9 years old so I had no say in the matter, We did go down to see it on display in the Cyclorama , I thought I was a famous having My name on a plaque , Never went back so I have no idea where it is now.

dtala

A hunting partner found a mans skeleton, separated skull, and six foot ladder. Seems a local guy had told folks he was going to kill himself the year before. He then disappeared and was not found after an extensive search. He took a ladder into the woods, secured a rope on a tree, climbed the ladder and hung himself. After a while the head pulled free and both parts fell to the ground. Pretty grisly find.....

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Do you remember exactly where this was? Did they tell y’all if it was a Union or Confederate gun?

bilgerat

Senior
My Dads club was on the Oconee river and the creek we found it in is now under lake Oconee , and they said it was union and was most likely abandoned because it had a crack in it

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My Dads club was on the Oconee river and the creek we found it in is now under lake Oconee , and they said it was union and was most likely abandoned because it had a crack in it
Makes sense that it was Union. Sherman’s extreme left wing traveled down the Putnam side of the river. All of the wings converged at the capitol at Milledgeville.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
A small thong laying on top of the largest pile of human curry consistency dung i have ever seen. This was in alaska about 7 years ago.

Also found 3 crashed planes a abondened hovercraft and an abandonded cataraft.

TJay

I had just joined a hunting club in Meriwether county prior to turkey season a few years back. I went to the club to do some looking around and maybe get an idea as to where to look for some birds. I had been riding the roads on my 4 wheeler looking at tracks and came to a mud puddle with what looked like the biggest turkey track I had ever seen by far. I was really bumfuzzled and kind of reluctant to tell my story when I got back to camp. When I did relate the story to a member he laughed and said yeah they had a couple of Emu's hangin out on the property. Seems the original owner got tired of taking care of them and wasn't making the money he thought he would so he just turned them loose.

Blackston

My Daddy trained to be an AAA gunner at Camp Stewart during 1940-41. His regiment was among the first to go to the Pacific when war broke out in December of 1941.
My Grandad and great Uncles as well .... My uncle Ben was one of first waves to hit the beach ... As he sit there beat up and wore out after battle , He hears a voice say Hey Bubba . It’s his brother searching for him with a bag of oranges ? ( he had just landed ) He said that’s the best Orange he ever ate !!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My Grandad and great Uncles as well .... My uncle Ben was one of first waves to hit the beach ... As he sit there beat up and wore out after battle , He hears a voice say Hey Bubba . It’s his brother searching for him with a bag of oranges ? ( he had just landed ) He said that’s the best Orange he ever ate !!!

Daddy said they separated him from his group in San Francisco before shipping out for the South Pacific. He said he never saw a familiar face from then in early 1942 until late 1945 when he returned.

My first cousin who I always referred to as my uncle was at Pearl Harbor during the attack Later he fought in a an armored unit in the South Pacific. His tank was destroyed by a Japanese anti tank gun. His hands were badly burned and he suffered through many surgeries.