Whats up with Blue Wing Teal in GA? (Poll)

How many blue wings did you harvest last year in GA Teal Season?

• Total voters
I have access to multiple private duck holes that hold woodies, gadwall, GWT etc during the normal duck season.

We have never tried hunting blue wings nor really scouted for them, but was wondering what success people have had hunting them in GA.

Do they move through GA in good number? (10-20 in a hole is good numbers) How sensitive are they in their migration? (what would cause an influx of birds)

These spots are not very easy to access/ scout. Would take about 2-3 hours of commitment, so would like to try to "time" the scout.

In my mind teal season in GA is just wishful thinking in that "a few may show up if you are lucky, but don't expect it and don't plan on a spot consistently having them each year."

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I’ve seen millions of BWT in Georgia over the years. Killed a ton too. Most of the time though, the migration doesn’t match the season all that great. Man they are great table fare.

across the river

If you are going to scout, do it the day before you go. Any longer than that and you are wasting your time. You can scout and find birds, but that doesn't mean they are going to be there tomorrow. Any front, no matter how small, can move birds in or out, and sometimes they move, in or out, for what seems like no reason at all. If you hit them right, yes, you can have good numbers. The problem is hitting them right. The most success I have ever had with them is when I was younger, had plenty of time, and could just go every morning regardless. You can go two or three days and not see one, and then hammer them on day three or four. They decoy extremely well, so if you are visible and they are around, they will typically give you a shot.

Last edited:
If you are going to scout, do it the day before you go. Any longer than that an you are wasting your time. You can scout and find birds, but that doesn't mean they are going to be there tomorrow. Any front, no matter how small, can move birds in or out, and sometimes they move, in or out, for what seems like no reason at all. If you hit them right, yes, you can have good numbers. The problem is hitting them right. The most success I have ever had when them is when I was younger, had plenty of time, and could just go every morning regardless. You can go two or three days and not see one, and then hammer them on day three or four. They decoy extremely well, so if you are visible and they are around, you will typically give you a shot.

Great advise and the response I was looking for. It may be worth setting up a few of those satellite game cameras.

devolve

It’s worth the drive to FL when the migration hits right. Some of the best teal shoots I’ve ever been on.

Athos

If you are going to scout, do it the day before you go. Any longer than that and you are wasting your time. You can scout and find birds, but that doesn't mean they are going to be there tomorrow. Any front, no matter how small, can move birds in or out, and sometimes they move, in or out, for what seems like no reason at all. If you hit them right, yes, you can have good numbers. The problem is hitting them right. The most success I have ever had with them is when I was younger, had plenty of time, and could just go every morning regardless. You can go two or three days and not see one, and then hammer them on day three or four. They decoy extremely well, so if you are visible and they are around, they will typically give you a shot.

My experience exactly. I actually believe north Georgia get more BWT that are migrators than any other duck based on my limited observations.