What's your favorite kind of tree to use a climber on.

What's your favorite kind of tree to use a climber on?

• Pine

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • Popler

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Hickory

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Water Oak

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • White Oak

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Red Oak

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Elm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cedar

• Birch

• Sweet Gum

Votes: 16 17.4%

• Total voters

308 WIN

POPLAR, SWEETGUM, PINE, RED/WATER OAK. NEVER CLIMB A HICKORY TREE WITH A CLIMBER, NEVER! :hair:

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
A good sized sweetgum is my favorite climbing tree but I'm sure I climb more pines than anything else.The right pine tree can be hard to beat.

Lthomas

A straight one.

Jorge

Lthomas, you are right about that. That's why I chose a poplar. I can't believe that pine is the most prefered. I hate climbing pines because of the noisy bark and sap.

Speaking of coming down fast, I don't know what kind it was, but I came down a wet one a few years ago like it was an iced covered flag pole. I was at my hunting height and was shifting the stand around the tree so I would not have to lean against a broken off dead branch when she let loose. Caught my armpit on that broken limb but kept on going down. :banginghe

Last edited:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I really do love Sweet Gums. They are very quiet, but a good climber will bite into their soft bark very well.

2nd would be a pine. Very good bite, more noise however.

Tommy

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
I like sweet gum and poplar trees, nice straight ones with not many low limbs to trim or get in the way. I really like ones that are "popular" with the deer movement! :cheers:

:flag:

TOW

Anything but a scaly bark hickory..

My favorite tree to climb is ANY climbable tree within 20 yards of a dropping white oak..

Scout-N-Hunt

Prefer pine or sweet gum, but
ANY climbable tree within 20 yards of a dropping white oak
works good too.

Timberman

I have basically no preference, opting for the LIVE tree offering the best set up. It tends to end up being poplar, pine or gum once I make the setup. I avoid hickory too, and don't particularly like climbing oaks.

IMO what little noise a climber makes most times is thought a natural sound by wildlife. A friend of mine shot a stud a few years back that charged in to the sound of his climber interacting with the tree as he climbed at daybreak. The buck ended up straight under him and he administered coupe de grace with his tree still swaying too and fro...that said I do attempt to be quiet as possible. :)

H

HT2

B M D............

Without question a .................

POPLAR TREE!!!!!!!!

I love that soft bark!!!!!! :cool:

But a good Sweet Gum is hard to beat too........

Anything and I mean anything but a Hickory!!!!!!!! ::ke: ::ke: ::ke:

Last edited:

meriwether john

Poplar if at all possible but I'll climb whichever I feel is best suited for placement. Climbed some palm trees on Wassaw but you have to be prepared to share your stand with the scorps. :hair:

willhunt

Sweetgum...

They're soft, quiet and usually straight. Pine and white oak, too noisy. Hickory and red oak too hard for a good bite. Poplar, slippery when wet.

Also, in my area, sweet gums are abundant and you can almost always find on where you want to hang a stand.

wh

gordylew

Power pole tree. no need to adjust your stand on the way up, usually on a prepared shooting lane and you can carry a flourescent light bulb and not need batteries.

doe shooter

Pine is the favorite mainly because i hunt mainly in planted pines. The few odd hardwoods that have grown up are not where i need them. My main problem is finding a pine big enough to climb.

Lostoutlaw

NO Hickory

But A good straight Wooden one works for me :love: :love: