Whats YOUR opinion on Durhamtown Plantation?

ryano

Banned
as far as deer hunting goes? has anyone ever been there before and if so whats your overall opinion on the place?

I really have been wanting to go on an all inclusive trip but my wallet will just not allow a 3 - 4 thousand dollar out of state trip..........I have checked some places in Alabama and the price seems to be much more reasonable there as compared to other states............I then found a link on here to Durhamtown and checked it out and it looks really good and sounds really reasonable.......Ive heard a few comments that it is just too commercial but Im not much worried about that either.............

I was just looking for some feedback whether it be good or bad about the place.................549.00 for a three day trip all inclusive sounds too good to be true so are there any hidden fees or is what you see on the website the honest truth as far as prices go?

I couldnt find anything but Im under the impression that Durhamtown is 100 percent fair chase correct?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated and any other suggestions that you feel are better are welcomed as well....

thanks guys,

Ryan

Last edited:

GeauxLSU

Ryan,
Have you been to the place?
Personally, I don't know what (if anything) you are paying to hunt now, but if you are paying $500 for a lease, I'd take that extra $549 you'd spend for 3 days and go join a $1,000, probably quite nice, club and hunt all season.
I went and looked at it a few years but I was looking for a place to join (not a day trip). It definitely was NOT for me, nice amenities and nice guy showing us the place, aside. I might have looked at it differently if I was interested in a 3 day hunt.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

ryano

Banned
GeauxLSU said:
Ryan,
Have you been to the place?
Personally, I don't know what (if anything) you are paying to hunt now, but if you are paying $500 for a lease, I'd take that extra $549 you'd spend for 3 days and go join a $1,000, probably quite nice, club and hunt all season.
I went and looked at it a few years but I was looking for a place to join (not a day trip). It definitely was NOT for me, nice amenities and nice guy showing us the place, aside. I might have looked at it differently if I was interested in a 3 day hunt.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Phil, Ive never been but am planning to go ride my four wheeler there this summer for a couple of days to check the place out and maybe camp a weekend..........

I have never been a member of a hunting club and mostly only hunt the disabled hunts throughout the state every year...........I always have lots of fun but am looking for a change in scenery............this would be more like a vacation with a hunting trip included.

Ive often thought about joining a club but have no idea where to even start and have kinda strayed away because I know I wouldnt be much help at all when it came to work days and such.......not to mention, the disabled hunts keep me pretty busy all season long too.

thanks for your input, I really appreciate it :cheers:

GeauxLSU

3and8fan4ever said:
...........this would be more like a vacation with a hunting trip included.
It would surely fit that bill.
3and8fan4ever said:
Ive often thought about joining a club but have no idea where to even start and have kinda strayed away because I know I wouldnt be much help at all when it came to work days and such.......not to mention, the disabled hunts keep me pretty busy all season long too.
You'd be a fine addition to ANYONE's club. There's MUCH more to being a good member than what chores you can do and many presidents would gladly have you aboard. If you're enjoying your current arrangement now, good deal, but please do not limit yourself based on that assumption. There could very well be a good bunch of guys needing another good member (which is apparently an all too rare find). If we weren't full this fall I'd be recruiting you right now! :D
Actually, if you don't mind a doe only hunt, shoot me a PM. I'll bring you as a guest this year.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully someone who has hunted DT can chime in...

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

ryano

Banned
GeauxLSU said:
Actually, if you don't mind a doe only hunt, shoot me a PM. I'll bring you as a guest this year.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully someone who has hunted DT can chime in...

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

I appreciate your input Phil and you didnt highjack my thread at all..................I also may just send you a PM sometime too! :clap: thanks alot :cheers:

I dont mind doe hunts at all because thats mostly what these hunts are that I go on. They really stress the importance of harvesting does because most of the places are way over populated............I mean we can shoot a buck and there are some nice ones taken usually but one has just never presented a shot to me.........

thanks again Phil!........

MoeBirds

I just checked out their (very informative) website and it looks like a cool place :cool: !!

Never been there myself, but have been on more than a few of 3-day pay hunts if you need any advice on what to bring, or what to expect :cheers: !?

striper commander

One of my cousin's buddie's was in the lease out there. He would show up to hunt in the morning and the man running the place would say i have someone hunting there today. He sells the day hunts along with the season lease's then wherever he puts somebody on the day hunt you can't hunt there. So he never had any good spots. My cousin went out there to go hog hunting one time a few years ago on a day hunt for hogs and the guy said there had been some coming to a food plot that nobody had hunted in a few weeks. Turns out he lied about something to do with the hunt i forget the details my cousin and his buddy never even hunted and left.

ryano

Banned
300mag said:
One of my cousin's buddie's was in the lease out there. He would show up to hunt in the morning and the man running the place would say i have someone hunting there today. He sells the day hunts along with the season lease's then wherever he puts somebody on the day hunt you can't hunt there. So he never had any good spots. My cousin went out there to go hog hunting one time a few years ago on a day hunt for hogs and the guy said there had been some coming to a food plot that nobody had hunted in a few weeks. Turns out he lied about something to do with the hunt i forget the details my cousin and his buddy never even hunted and left.

thanks for the info.........the website DOES say that they specialize in day hunts but I had no idea they would treat their year round members like that :huh:

this is exactly the kinda info Im trying to find out :cheers:

Arrow3

I would stay clear of DP....My club joins it and we have problems with them all the time...They tear up OUR hunting club roads with their 4 wheelers...We have a road that boarders their property and they use it all the time....Its really our road but we let them use it...Every year they get a new memeber in who thinks its a DP road and tears the heck out it...Last two years we have blocked the road on opening day with a truck to keep them from riding up on our hunters...Both years we've had a confrontation with them...Both have been pretty cival though...Both told us we had ruined their hunt because we wouldnt let them drive closer to their stand...TOUGH...its our road and we have people hunting the edge of a clearcut...

I was also told that he takes the "pay" hunters and hunts the same part that is leased....Now how would you like to be in a club and every weekend the club president brings someone in new and puts him in your spot??? I don't think so...From what I hear the only return memebers are close friends of the guy who runs it...I don't know this to be a fact, just what I heard through the grape vine...

Hope this helps

ryano

Banned
Arrow3 said:
I was also told that he takes the "pay" hunters and hunts the same part that is leased....Now how would you like to be in a club and every weekend the club president brings someone in new and puts him in your spot??? I don't think so...From what I hear the only return memebers are close friends of the guy who runs it...I don't know this to be a fact, just what I heard through the grape vine...

Hope this helps

thanks Brandon, your the second person to say this so there has to be some truth to it :huh:

it looks like a fine place but its a shame its ran like that if all this is true :mad:

I will probably just look somewhere else.............

short stop

DP ---great if you want to ride atvs---deer hunts no way its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ . to many people around for my taste --$0.02 TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

deerhunter270

I have been a hunting member there for four years. There were not that many deer taken there last year as the year before. There were some really good trophies taken last year though. Last season I only saw 3 does the whole season, but that was only because I only go like every other weekend. Most of the big deer are taken during the week. When you sit in some of the stands you can hear dirtbikes, but it doesn't seem to bother the deer much. There is only one picec of property that no riding is allowed. Therefore that is the only piece that everyone hunts on. It is 1250 acres. There also is 1000 acre tract, and a 250 acre tract down the road where no riding is allowed. Most of the deer are killed on these tracts because of no riding. There is about 8000 acres in all. Only the pieces I mentioned above have no riding. There are turkeys there, but only one was killed this entire season. From what I hear though, most of the people that pay just a week hunt see deer, and usually end up getting one. It seems like the year long members see less deer then the people only down there for a week. LOL. But I am personally
looking for another club. This one is getting a little to commercial for me. Because probaly in the future, there will be riding on all of the property. :mad:

Russell

Old Timer

Banned
$

My son and I were members about 5 or 6 years ago. We were members for about 3 years. My son shot his first buck there, some good memories. I think about that time was the start of them calling the property the resort. I have never heard a hunting club refered to as a resort. I dont know how you can deer hunt with motorcycles all around. It is some good land but not my cup of tea. Web sites can make anything look good.

EON

I was a member there before the MX stuff began and saw several nice deer taken from the property. Once the owner took over everything changed and bikes and 4 wheelers where everywhere. You can't hunt with MX running through the area. If you want to go 4 wheelin, by all means its a great place. But for hunting I'd look else where. just my .02

Trigabby

I agree with the last two folks.. And may even know ya'll... I was a member from '98, to 01 I think... Wife shot a real nice buck, and I had a chance at several bruisers.. (one was shot the year after I left.. Right where he hung out for three years)

Anyways, when it was a hunting club, it was great... The first year they turned it into a resort with the bikes and everything.. I was outta there...

They will nickel and dime you to death, too... Just MHO

ryano

Banned
thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly what I was looking for..........doesnt really sound all that good to me now as far as hunting goes............I will probably still go camp and ride a weekend come July or so.......

thanks again! :clap:

atvrider

dp deer plantation

we have one of the leases accross river from them, not much trouble from them, but for 400.00 you can join our club and kill hogs,turkey and deer that crosses the river,to our property, we have pin board and you pin your spot and it's yours for the day, or weekend. be in touch if interested.