When all other seizures fail miserably ...

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I wanted so badly to give Mike a (y)on his short essay; and would have done so if he had used "in the world but not of the world" or "walk in the Spirit" instead of mistranslating Rm. 5:17 by making it about temporal life rather than its obvious reference to eternal life. Nonetheless, the rest of what he said is quite good.

StriperAddict

We 'reign in life' here and in eternity since we are in Christ. Those who are joined to Christ have life abundant, and aren't waiting for eternity to express that life.
So I get your point but I'm sure it's both, reigning in Christ now and for all eternity.
John 10:10

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
We 'reign in life' here and in eternity since we are in Christ. Those who are joined to Christ have life abundant, and aren't waiting for eternity to express that life.
So I get your point but I'm sure it's both, reigning in Christ now and for all eternity.
John 10:10
While confessing that it is more a matter of curiosity than anything else; from where does the translation of περισσός (abundantly) originate that includes a sense of time or realm, "now and for all eternity"? Or is it a different verse? Or am I just not understanding?

>>> O.K. I read your post about 10 more times. Are you saying, very crudely stated, "Fake it till you make it"; not in the usual sense that the "faking" as a contributing cause of the "making", but as an expression of confidence; then, by the "faking" you will extend the eternal benefit of life in Christ, spoken of in Scripture, into the temporal realm as well? If so, I would then ask if that is not comparable to the common interpretation of OT promises (often figured as a give and take between man and God, in other words a declaration interpreted as a contingency) as assuring temporal benefit, which has led to the understanding that God is mutable/dispensational?

It is not my opinion that there is no benefit to an awareness of God through Christ as the Sovereign of all creation (Paul spoke of the joy in tribulation). It is my opinion that anything that leads away from the immutability, and therefore the trustworthiness, of God is highly detrimental to the believer (Mal. 3:6); for he can only think of himself more highly than he ought (Rm. 2:11; 12:3).<<<

Last edited:

StriperAddict

"As He is, so are we in this world" comes to mind.
That about covers it.
Getting our minds and beliefs around this is where we grow in grace. Amen