When on an evening sit, if deer are feeding/sparring/bedding within 20 yards of your stand at last light, what do you do to exit?

Stephen2110

The reason I'm posting is because of last night. I was in one of my better spots where I've had pictures and sign of buck activity. I didn't see anything until about 10 minutes before last light. A small 4pt walked out and began rubbing and just having a grand ole time. He was never farther than 20 yards from me. Call me picky, but I'm not interested in shooting young bucks. So I watched him until he almost disappeared in the darkness. About a minute or so before I could no longer see the shape of him, another much larger bodied deer stepped out behind him. This deer was easily twice the size and weight. My heart jumped as they dissolved into the pitch black.

So, sitting in my stand at around 8:00pm, I can still hear what sounds like sparring. Very gentle, light tickling of antlers. I decided to just hold still until I heard them leave. Well 15-20 minutes passes by and they sound like they are prancing around, rubbing, scraping, and having a blast. My wife knows what time I'm usually home and she knows to come looking if she hasn't seen or heard from me too long after dark. The sounds are now within 10-15 yards as I feel my phone start vibrating. I assumed correctly it was her checking on me. I never seem to remember to lower the brightness of my cell phone so checking my phone wasn't an option.

Long story short, I waited another 15 minutes listening to these deer meander all around me, even directly below my feet at one point. I knew my wife would be worried by now and would come looking, so I started gathering my gear to leave. Once ready another 10 mins has gone by, deer clearly still very close. I stood slowly and turned my back to where I thought they were and checked my phone. Of course the screen erupts like 12,000 suns exploding and illuminates me. That's when I heard stomping. Resigning myself to destroying one of my favorite setups, I just start climbing down. One deer blew as my feet touched the ground and I assume they both took off.

Have you guys been in this situation and how did you handle it? Any suggestions, stories, or reassurances you can share will be very much appreciated!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Stay still, and just start talking in a normal tone of voice. They will usually start looking around and slowly move away.

Stephen2110

Stay still, and just start talking in a normal tone of voice. They will usually start looking around and slowly move away.
Never thought of that. Dang it, it makes sense and doesn't directly reveal your location. I thought about throwing my hat or something, but they were so close I could hear each breath, so I assumed they'd spot the movement.

Sixes

I will cough a couple of times or even turn on my light.

I have a cousin that can do a coyote howl very well and he will do some yelps and the deer will leave.

I have actually thrown stuff at very young deer. I dropped my backpack on a button buck that wouldn't leave, he fed under me for all evening and I coughed, spoke to him, everything, so I finally dropped my bag on him and he took off like something was chasing him.

Stephen2110

Lol, I bet! I've howled, yelled, used my flashlight, and thrown stuff before during rifle season. But that's always at a much greater distance, so I've always felt confident they didn't know what was happening. This case, I was so close and nervous about ruining my spot by getting seen.

This 4pt was amazing to watch and so close I could hear him chewing on acorns. I'm not complaining about the experience at all, just worried all my hard work spent on this stand has been ruined. I'm pretty sure the other deer was a nice sized buck, possibly a shooter.

Stephen2110

I usually start singing "Eye of the Tiger" in a super high pitched voice, while waiving my shirt around my head.
So am just being paranoid about all this? I've heard singing, howling, and talking.. Maybe my spot isn't ruined if I just climbed down and walked off

shdw633

I usually just whistle sharply, wait for a minute and whistle again. They cannot determine where the noise is coming from and it isn't bad enough for them to bolt. They usually just stare in the direction of the whistle for a moment or two and then walk away.

shdw633

So am just being paranoid about all this? I've heard singing, howling, and talking.. Maybe my spot isn't ruined if I just climbed down and walked off

Your spot is not ruined at all. I have had deer that have watched me, seen me in the stand and leave only to come back later the same day.

Tight Lines

I stay in my stand or blind until they are gone. If they are still around, I normally keep sitting. Only a few times have I had the issue where they won't leave and those cases I ended up taking a branch and tossing it away from the stand to scare them. One time I threw a grunt call because I didn't have a heavy enough branch. That one is still there, I forgot every time I went back to get it...

Your stand isn't ruined...

Stephen2110

Really appreciate the tips. I feel better now was planning to pull my stand and just give up on that spot. But I'm going to give it a few days to cool off and try sitting there again.
Next time this happens, I'll sing eye of the Tiger while whistling and throwing my grunt call. Lol.

buckpasser

I also just sit if there’s a deer that I would like to take later. My wife knows me well enough to know that it will be a very long time after dark before she should expect to hear from me. I can’t stand to blow one out, especially from my stand right at dark. Good luck.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Same thing i do NCH. I just start talking to them. I have thrown my half full water bottle at them. They jumped and then smelled it. Lol

Tight Lines

Really appreciate the tips. I feel better now was planning to pull my stand and just give up on that spot. But I'm going to give it a few days to cool off and try sitting there again.
Next time this happens, I'll sing eye of the Tiger while whistling and throwing my grunt call. Lol.

ROFL. Just pour some corn out, you'll be fine...and bring a light to shine on them...

;)

buckshed

I have a very bright flashlight in my backpack that I use for this reason...seems to get them to trot off far enough for me to leave without getting winded

Stephen2110

So from what I've gathered here, I shouldn't beat myself up over ruining this spot. If all of the things mentioned didn't screw up later hunts, then I should be fine.

Wish I had used my flashlight so I at least could have seen how big the other buck was. Compared to the 4pt's body, it was a bruiser.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
So from what I've gathered here, I shouldn't beat myself up over ruining this spot. If all of the things mentioned didn't screw up later hunts, then I should be fine.

Wish I had used my flashlight so I at least could have seen how big the other buck was. Compared to the 4pt's body, it was a bruiser.

Relax and enjoy your hunts. You`ll do just fine. Pay attention to their behavior as you observe, and you`ll learn a lot.