When on an evening sit, if deer are feeding/sparring/bedding within 20 yards of your stand at last light, what do you do to exit?

rosewood

I had a small spike at feeder and then something heavy walked up behind me the other night. Its gate sounded like a deer. I was trapped for like 30 minutes after shooting light. Never heard it move off. Packed up and got down as quitely as ever and eased off. Never heard it blow or run off.

I do have the owl call for turkey hunting, may throw it in the deer pack and see if it works next time.

Have considered a sling shot. Could shoot near the deer or over them to make enough noise to scare them off.

Rosewood

jrickman

Deer ain’t that smart. My former neighbor dropped 3 in a 10 day span. The second was within 10 feet of part of the first one’s blood trail, and the third was 5 feet from the greasy spot left by the first one’s gut pile. Shoot, all three of them ate out of the same corn pile while he was clearing his shooting lanes the week before. :D

rosewood

Shot one a couple weeks back, nice black blood stain still there, had deer eating all around it later that night.

I don't think the average deer is spooked by such things. The old smart bucks and does are the ones that check your stand every time they come out to see if you are there.

Rosewood

Mackie889

So am just being paranoid about all this? I've heard singing, howling, and talking.. Maybe my spot isn't ruined if I just climbed down and walked off
I would say that the spot is ruined for YOU ... but for me, it would be OK if I hunted that spot again for you, so where’s it at? LOL Great story and good luck this season!

Stephen2110

Haha, I see what you did there. Let me check. Here you go: 48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W

Just make sure to bring your waders tho, can get a bit soggy out there! Good luck to you as well man, thanks for the chuckle!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If it's a stand that gets used a bunch, especially on food sources, the deer will figure it out after a while no matter what you do to push them off.

Doesnt mean you wont still see deer there, but they will definitely adjust their movement around your moving thru or barking or coyote howling or talking or clapping hands etc.

My personal preference in farm country is to have someone drive thru the field and push them off it. In the woods I like yote howls.
That is why I try to not sit in the same spot more than two days in a row.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Haha I kinda got this mental image like the old movie, the gods must be crazy
Don't cook the sheep in the pasture you killed it in, while you're on your way to the edge of the world to throw that bottle off. :bounce:

rosewood

I just sit there until they are gone.
Sometimes you don't know. If it is totally dark and you never hear the move off, it is a guessing game. Deer can stand still like statues for hours.

Rosewood

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I got a box blind sitting at one end of a long thin foodplot and the first thing they do when they show up is check the box blind to see if the windows are open. I've even got strips of dark colored camo cloth hanging on the inside of the windows to mask the open space but it doesn't fool the deer for 2 seconds. If the windows are open those heads are gonna be a bobbing up and down while they feed.

The deer must be a lot smarter over where you hunt than they are at my place. LOL

rosewood

The deer must be a lot smarter over where you hunt than they are at my place. LOL
I have a buddy that said he saw a buck crawl past his stand in the tall grass to keep from being seen. Some are very crafty.

I have one ladder stand where I got busted by a doe several times. She would see me first and blow at me. I heard them walking and was perfectly still, somehow she saw me in the stand through the brush and would blow and then run off. Had it happen 3 different times. Betting it was the same doe. Pretty sure I wasn't up wind either.

Rosewood

killerv

I have a buddy that said he saw a buck crawl past his stand in the tall grass to keep from being seen. Some are very crafty.

I have one ladder stand where I got busted by a doe several times. She would see me first and blow at me. I heard them walking and was perfectly still, somehow she saw me in the stand through the brush and would blow and then run off. Had it happen 3 different times. Betting it was the same doe. Pretty sure I wasn't up wind either.

Rosewood

Some are just way more aware of their surroundings, you put something 200-250lbs in your kitchen or living room you are gonna notice it

Funny, every year there's that one doe that when she steps out, looks straight up at me....I take it personal and she immediately go on the kill list.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Sometimes you don't know. If it is totally dark and you never hear the move off, it is a guessing game. Deer can stand still like statues for hours.

Rosewood
When it's that dark it doesn't bother me to get down a slight movement or sound will make them leave.

It has never affected where I hunt or the bucks I have killed.

Waddams

not that i've got much experience with it, but i did manage to get their attention a few times at local parks by burping real loud (it's been a talent since i was 5, got it from my mother).

they turn and look real intent when i rip one, and then usually wander off without bolting or being too startled.

ucfireman

You gotta leave some time and if they are not moving on then you have to move them.
I had a young buck a few years ago that I watched till dark He was still there when I stood up, and walked out. I stopped at the top of the hill and looked and he was back eating.
I don't think its a big deal.