When targeting Bluegill on large reservoir;

Shrimpngrits

My goal as a kayaker this fall is to find the young bluegills in the late afternoon, and use ‘em in the morning for catfish or striper. Being under paddle power, I’m trying to narrow my focus a bit. Thanks!

Big7

The Oracle
My goal as a kayaker this fall is to find the young bluegills in the late afternoon, and use ‘em in the morning for catfish or striper. Being under paddle power, I’m trying to narrow my focus a bit. Thanks!
Minnow trap is your friend. ?

earlthegoat2

It is not legal to harvest game fish with traps or nets

Might have meant use the minnow trap to catch minnows as bait for the catfish and stripers as opposed to fishing for bluegill for that purpose.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
i guess it might depend on what size bluegill your wanting.

For smaller palm sized bluegill. Around rocks seem to be a consistent producer. Dosent matter if its on main lake or back in creek. Down trees & boat ramps are good areas also.

Anvil Head

Any boat ramp with a floating dock will have plenty of butterbeans around them. Piece of worm on a size 10 hook should get all you need in short order.

oldfella1962

Any boat ramp with a floating dock will have plenty of butterbeans around them. Piece of worm on a size 10 hook should get all you need in short order.

even better believe it or not.....bacon! One slice of raw bacon will last you all day and here's why: a tiny chuck of bacon will stay on the hook better & longer than a worm. Sometimes you can catch several bluegills on the same piece of bacon. Also the oily bacon flavor spreads out attracting more bluegills. When my kids were tiny I wanted them to have non-stop action so of course bluegills were my go-to fish. So a tiny bit of raw bacon on a tiny hook was insane fun for the kids especially once that bacon oil slick started to spread. Come evening bigger bacon pieces worked on catfish.

j_seph

Float, bb sinker, 2ft deep, red wiggler down the sides of the bank. Preferably along rocks or wood. Been doing it for 30 years

Richf7

even better believe it or not.....bacon! One slice of raw bacon will last you all day and here's why: a tiny chuck of bacon will stay on the hook better & longer than a worm. Sometimes you can catch several bluegills on the same piece of bacon. Also the oily bacon flavor spreads out attracting more bluegills. When my kids were tiny I wanted them to have non-stop action so of course bluegills were my go-to fish. So a tiny bit of raw bacon on a tiny hook was insane fun for the kids especially once that bacon oil slick started to spread. Come evening bigger bacon pieces worked on catfish.

When I was a kid fatback and bacon never failed. The biggest bream I ever caught was on a piece of ham!

Shrimpngrits

This is great stuff guys, thanks for the visualization! I’m paddling my 8yr old on Clark’s Hill sunday afternoon, fingers crossed!

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Also try around any docks you encounter

oldfella1962

This is great stuff guys, thanks for the visualization! I’m paddling my 8yr old on Clark’s Hill sunday afternoon, fingers crossed!

should be a good day - the rain will be gone by Saturday, so Sunday should be cloudy with not much wind and no rain.