When were stone arrowheads last used aginst American forces?

Been doing a little research and cannot find when stone arrow heads were last used against American armed forces. Its my understanding that the native Americans abounded stone and started using metal as soon as it became available. Do we know when the last American was killed in battle with a stone age point? Were any tribes still using stone points as late as the end of the indian wars in the 1890's?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There might have been a very few stone tipped arrows used during the Battle Of The Little Bighorn. You have to remember that generally speaking, the art of flintknapping was lost within one generation of the Indians gaining trade with the Europeans.

Also, it seems I read that the Apaches would sometimes use crude points with arrows against the Army during some of their fights.

I think it would be fascinating to know the last time stone age warriors stood toe to toe with a contemporary military. Just makes a vivid illustrations of the two worlds clashing

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not military, but Ishi's group of Yahi shot a few stone-tipped arrows at folks in the very late 1800s-early 1900s.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I think it would be fascinating to know the last time stone age warriors stood toe to toe with a contemporary military. Just makes a vivid illustrations of the two worlds clashing

For large scale battles against stone tipped weapons I would think the Spanish invasion of Central America would be it. Stone vs Steel and primitive guns.

For aboriginal action against a modern army have a look at the Anglo-Zulu War 1879. The Battle of Isawandlwana and the Battle of Rorke's Drift. The Brits were using Martini-Henry single shot rifles and the Zulu were using spears (iron tipped) and a few captured rifles. The first battle was won by the Zulu and the second by the Brits. There have been pretty good movies made about both battles. Easily worth the watch.

Hillbilly stalker

I read a good book one time where the Indians found that un - tipped cane arrows would splinter and compromise the chain mail that the Spaniards wore. I think the book was about the Seminole If I remember correct.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I read a good book one time where the Indians found that un - tipped cane arrows would splinter and compromise the chain mail that the Spaniards wore. I think the book was about the Seminole If I remember correct.
I think that was in the journal of one of the members of the De Soto expedition. I remember reading that, too.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

Ouch!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I read up to see if the Moros of the Philippines used any stone tipped weapons against the US Army during the Moro Uprisings. While they did use spears occasionally, I can't find any reference to them being stone tipped as steel was available to the Moros at that point.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Yes, I believe it was the Timucuans that started removing the foreshafts of their arrows when the stone points wouldn`t penetrate the chain mail. Since the edges of rivercane is so very sharp, those splintered ends made some deadly wounds. Unfortunately, it wasn`t enough though.

Redbow

I still use rivercane arrows for stump shooting every now and then. A good sharp point on the rivercane will penetrate the oak trees in my yard and sometimes stick instead of bouncing out. That stuff would cause a terrible gut wound..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Andaman Islanders still shoot arrows at helicopters when they fly over.