Where Have All The Crickets Gone?

Nimrod71

I worked hard yesterday getting my little boat ready for a fishing trip this morning. Since the river has dropped out I thought I would use my stick steer 1436 with 9.9 to get in shallower water. It also has and old model Johnson trolling motor that is very quite and makes less vibration in the water.

Now for the subject, Where are the Crickets? Last week when I went fishing a friend was really catching fish, three fish in the boat to every bite I got fishing with worms. Since I don't fish or hunt of Sundays I didn't get bait yesterday, I waited until this morning. You guessed it No Crickets. I went to 4 bait stores and they were all out of crickets and only one had worms and they didn't look that good. Oh well, I took this as a sign to stay home and help my wife around the house.

Now she just ask me to go pick the squash and hoe the garden. Maybe they will have some more crickets tomorrow.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just a sign that the fish are biting . I live on a popular crappie fishing lake and you can always tell when they biting , no one will have minnows . One of the reasons I started only using jigs . My nephew sent me some pictures of some fine red breast that came out of the satilla

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I read somewhere recently that there was a shortage of them right now. I believe it had to do with the extreme cold that came through the south this year.

Nimrod71

That was a fire at the Glenville cricket farm but they only lost a few million crickets. I think the problem now is that last week was Memorial Day week and a lot of people took a few days off and went fishing. I know I saw a lot of boats on the road Saturday and Sunday. On my way to church yesterday 8 boats passed me on the way to the river. By the way, anyone wanting to fish the Altamah River the Weather Service is showing it rising 3 ft over the next 4 days. I guess of all the heavy rains we have had.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Just a sign that the fish are biting . I live on a popular crappie fishing lake and you can always tell when they biting , no one will have minnows . One of the reasons I started only using jigs . My nephew sent me some pictures of some fine red breast that came out of the satilla
Man those minnow selling jokers around the north part of the lake are kinda lazy too. The dude at the crossroads assured me 1 sat that he'd be open at 7 am. There were 4 trucks waiting on him.... We left at 7:40 and the doors were still locked

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Heck the largest supplier of crickets in the world is located right here in Augusta and you can also buy direct from them online and they have a fantastic reputation as well.....since they have been in business since Moby Dick was a Minnow !!!

This is the link:
Check this link: https://www.ghann.com/#2

Last weekend, I bought 50 of them and went by my pond up in Lincolnton on Sunday afternoon and ONLY used 3 crickets total. I caught one 1/2-3/4 lb bluegill and released it.

I brought the rest home and fed them all week by slicing an irish potato into about 3/16" thickness, about 6 pieces will last 3 days or so and putting them side to side in the bottom of the 6" diameter cricket container and kept them and also added more to them yesterday morning as I went back by Pollard's Corner Store in Columbia County on the way to Clark Hill Lake and Lincolnton and bought 50 more ($2.80 total) and added them to the original survivors of last weekend. I only used 4 total yesterday as the turtles ate them each time instead. I caught one small bass on a frog colored jitter-bug and videoed the retrieve on my phone. Then released it to catch another day.

Now, I make sure that the family of little wrens can not get into the cricket container as about 3-4 weeks ago, ultimately, I had great trailcam photos of the adult catching and eating EVERY cricket left in the box. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Last edited:

ryanh487

I was at petsmart the other day taking my dog to the vet and they were out of crickets too, had a sign up on the bins talking about a national shortage.

Nimrod71

Found crickets at Jiffy Jig in Vidalia for $3.50 a hundred. Got a 100 a cup of worms and cricket hooks so I am ready to hit the water in the morning. At this time I could fish in the front ditch, we got 3.5 inches of rain today. Yes the river will be going up.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Man those minnow selling jokers around the north part of the lake are kinda lazy too. The dude at the crossroads assured me 1 sat that he'd be open at 7 am. There were 4 trucks waiting on him.... We left at 7:40 and the doors were still locked
They got some good biscuits though ?

James12

Yup, have a bearded dragon and he’s been hating on Covid too. Ever since, both bait and pet stores have been without. Pet store crickets however are not your average cricket. They’re lab crickets and are very weak.