Where to find a dog mate with health clearances?

RiverRun

Where do most of you that breed gun dogs find a mate for your dogs that also has health clearances? I know word of mouth is a powerful tool, but most that I run into do not have the health clearances, so it makes it tougher to find a viable female for my boykin stud male. Not trying to start a debate on testing vs not, I'm just wondering where most look!

Ray357

AWOL
Where do most of you that breed gun dogs find a mate for your dogs that also has health clearances? I know word of mouth is a powerful tool, but most that I run into do not have the health clearances, so it makes it tougher to find a viable female for my boykin stud male. Not trying to start a debate on testing vs not, I'm just wondering where most look!
I don't know because most are not concerned with testing. You have a male. Let the vet do the deed and then it really does not matter.

TAS

I have not bred any of my dogs but would only do so with dogs with health clearances and similar titles (AKC or UKC). Might call area trainers and ask for recommendations. Maybe go to a hunt test and look at dogs running, get to know the owners. Good breeding stock seems really expensive though.

SLY22

Useles Member !

Join the Boykin Spaniel Society or look at their website.

Water Swat

When you have good studs the female owners seek you out. That comes from like you said, word of mouth but also productivity in the hunt test and field trial circuit.

flatsmaster

I’d go on Boykin specific site like suggested and list accomplishments and health clearances and ur stud fee ... I’d think typically harder for male unless truly exceptional or tied to a trainer to promote or most with females will go to top trainer with a male to be bred ... I think health clearances are very important and mine has hers ... good luck bc if you find a ***** you get the easy part !!! Lol

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Boykin Spaniel Society

My female has had all the health test and is clear, but I haven't had her hips xrayed yet.

across the river

When you have good studs the female owners seek you out. That comes from like you said, word of mouth but also productivity in the hunt test and field trial circuit.

This. You are on the wrong end of the spectrum of this deal with a male. If you have a female, you can typically search out a qualified male and pay a stud fee to have you dog bred regardless. They get the stud fee for the male, and you get to deal with the puppies. With a male, unless the dog really has something special to offer i.e. pedigree, hunt test champion, field performance, etc.... no one with a female really cares about your dog. Why would they breed their dog to you for a puppy or stud fee, if you dog really has nothing special to offer in terms of genetics, when they have to deal with the puppies?