Where to find Cost of Living, taxes, etc... in the Georgia counties. About time to move.

Buford_Dawg

It is time to start thinking about moving out of Gwinnett. Traffic and the amount of people moving in are unreal nowadays. Looking in Oconee, Jackson and maybe Hart counties to start. Any other suggested counties from those that live there in northeast Ga. Not going further south, unless it is to a beach :). Gonna be retiring in about 3 years, so want to get away from the madness before hand.

pjciii

I am on about the same timeline. I just dont want to move twice. If this state goes blue in November there won't be a decent place within a hundred miles of Atlanta.

Patrick

Waddams

I live in Gwinnett, close to Lawrenceville. Traffic and crowding sucks. Crime is rising. Always reports of problems. I'm stuck here until my son is out of high school, likely college if he stays in the local system.

My job here too has a lot of potential and upside right now. Office is in P'tree Corners. If I were to move farther out, I'd have to find a different job. Walking away from this one would be really hard. Aside from being in Gwinnett and the issues that come with that, life is otherwise going as good as it could. The traffic and crowding at the moment at least are worth putting up with given how well the rest of everything is currently going.

It is tough sometimes, though, as Gwinnett is just going further and further down the drain. Maybe I'll win the lottery and be able to not worry about my career anymore.:LOL:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It is time to start thinking about moving out of Gwinnett. Traffic and the amount of people moving in are unreal nowadays. Looking in Oconee, Jackson and maybe Hart counties to start. Any other suggested counties from those that live there in northeast Ga. Not going further south, unless it is to a beach :). Gonna be retiring in about 3 years, so want to get away from the madness before hand.

Take a look at Staghorn Plantation near Nicholson in Jackson County. I used to live near there. Nice place.

Buford_Dawg

Funny you mention Staghorn, I rode thru there last Tuesday evening. There are alot of lots sitting there, appears to have been year(s). Not sure why they are not progressing. Most of the homes on the lake are nice for sure. Beautiful area around it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I lived in that area for over 50 years. It is still a good community. West Jackson area is becoming Gwinnett.

Reactions: srb

twtabb

Left in 91. Made sure I didn’t leave anything behind. Now I just pass through. Worked down town on Peach tree street. Only time I could avoid the traffic To work was when I lived downtown by the park.

GoldDot40

Jackson County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state. Taxes are already upticking. I grew up in Jackson County myself. Moved out into southern Madison County. I love it out here...but there are subdivisions popping up all around me. Our taxes have gone up substantially in the 3 years we've been here....of course so has the equity in my house. New construction....value is up $25K from the day we moved in, in just 3 years.

rayjay

I've been white flighting my whole life. Atlanta to Smyrna in 61. Smyrna to Snellville in 81. Snellville to Sugar Hill in 2000. Time to go again but I really love my house, yard, neighbors across the street, other close friends. Hopefully I survive the traumatic event that signals "it's time to move".

hopper

Left Gwinnett in the rear view 25 yrs ago and moved to Cumming. Gonna probably just keep moving North.

GoldDot40

I'm glad there's no traffic in Sandy Cross ?
You done bumped your head. I came through there a couple weeks ago. I saw 5 vehicles between Smithsonia and Goose Pond. I don't see how you put up with it. :rofl:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You done bumped your head. I came through there a couple weeks ago. I saw 5 vehicles between Smithsonia and Goose Pond. I don't see how you put up with it. :rofl:

Yep. And those armadillos, and squirrels, and deer crossing the roads are terrible. :bounce:

Kris87

I'm in Oconee county, mainly because of the schools for my kids. The only issue with our county is cost of housing...because of the school system. Otherwise, Oconee county is awesome in about every way. My kids have 9 years of school left, and then I'm moving next door to Clarke county(Athens). Land is cheaper and I'll still be close to Athens and the university.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
If you want to get off the beaten path Hart is the one out of that bunch.

Arrow3

I know that's right!!!??