Where to go for Trout?

dannyoneal68

I want to go up to North Georgia soon and see about catching my first Trout. I'm not looking for trophies I just want to catch some. Any suggestions on where to go? I'd like to try the Chattahoochee national forest (So I can camp too) Where's the best fishing up there?

Last edited:

spud

My favorite place to go is Claton Ga, there are a couple of places to go but the two on top of that list is warwoman creek and the Westfork, Warwoman is a great creek to fish for stocked fish while the Westfork you will catch stocked fish but with a little bit of walking you will find some brown and a brookie every now and then. take panther martians to fish the slow waters but try crickets with a splitshot up about 16 inches in the rapids and eddy currents. be sure to take your crickets with you because for whatever reason they are really hard to find up there. Good Luck

doodleflop

My choice for ease would be lake Russell. The camping is right at the river where they stock. You can fish the day they stock and catch your limit within minutes.

MTMiller

Sarah's Creek

look up Sarah's Creek. It's in NE Georgia on Warwomen WMA. Awesome camping right on the trout stream. The stream is always stocked heavy and I've never failed to catch my limit there. It's sometimes crowded but well worth the trip.

jigman29

Warwoman is a good bet but about any good size creek on national forest up here that is stocked is a good bet.I would head out and hike a little or if you just want to catch any trout head up to andy's trout farm and pay to catch one to break the ice lol.If you have any questions just shoot me a p.m. and I would be glad to help.

jwoody79

Used to fish sarahs creek and warwoman every summer with my uncle, camping at sarahs creek is awesome and if you drive up to the bridge it is a nice walk down stream catching trout all day. Both bridges produce, it is well worth the drive for sure

fishndoc

If you don't mind catch and release, and fishing with artificials, then you might want to try the delayed harvest section of Smith Creek - below the dam at Unicoi State Park. Guaranteed to find some fish.

stcxiong

I have a full size Tundra 4x4 lifted with mud tires etc... will I be able to drive the Tundra on the roads to fish at Warwoman creek? Will it fits, is the question? or do I need to drive smaller vehicle?

TomC

Another great trip, particularly if you want to camp is to head to Blue Ridge, Ga and camp at the Toccoa Valley Campground on Aska Rd and fish the Toccoa River above and below the lake. Get up early, fish below the dam first, head to Curtis Switch and then finish at Horse Shoe Park to stay ahead of the water release from the dam. Love the campground and it on the river but the smaller part of the river on the other side of the lake which you can also fish. Kind of confusing just look at a map. My favorite trout fishing / camping destination in Georgia by far. I grew up in Rabun Country so VERY familiar with all the places mentioned above which are good places for a newbie and smaller water but make a trip to Blue Ridge at some point. Just check regulations and water release schedules.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have a full size Tundra 4x4 lifted with mud tires etc... will I be able to drive the Tundra on the roads to fish at Warwoman creek? Will it fits, is the question? or do I need to drive smaller vehicle?

Come on man! Are you kidding? What did you lift it and slap mud tires on it for?

44magpastor

Took a ride up to Warwoman Monday, and then rode over to the Coleman River. As expected it was pretty full of people. Beautiful though and I always enjoy being there.