Where to shoot em with 00bu

delacroix

BANNED
Buckshot really stinks for killing deer and worse for bloodtrailing them. Put some pellets in the CNS to drop it.

All my use has been on moving deer in front of dogs or man driving. I shoot 'em same as I would a goose.

fi8shmasty

I always used #4 buck in a full choke in nc. Hunting in the swamps 00 was good but not as many pellets as #4 . Shots were never over 40 yds.

Buckman18

Just got one of the buckkicker chokes. Glad I did. Great patterns at 40 yards

Which size buckshot do you shoot, size choke, and model shotgun?

Ive been thinking about getting one also. I love kicks turkey chokes.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Everybody like 00 for some reason. Maybe because it sounds cool. My shotguns like #1.
I hunted in front of dogs for years and always used #1 buck . Killed a truck load of deer in front of hounds . Unless they were sneaking out of a block not ahead of the dogs they were running wide open. Dad always told me to put on front of the deer and shoot til my gun was empty or I couldn’t see deer anymore lol And he bought the ammo back then

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I like #1 buck. I also use 000 buck. It had some range to it. My 30” barrel 870 could send a load down range for a good ways. #1 is best all around

I've killed all but a few of mine with a twelve gauge. Figured out the best load out of a shotgun, any shotgun, for deer is going to be a slug, period. Better range, accuracy enough to ensure incapacitating hits and instant incapacitation.
That said buckshot is a fine deer killer once you understand buckshot and the only way you're going to understand buckshot is hang some paper and get to shooting, alot. So much that you shoulder might need reconstructive surgery.
Now that you've done that and understand that average smooth bore and a five pack of 00 ain't no good much past 25 yards but you've figured out which choke and load squeezes out another ten yards let's talk about where to hit them.
Well you've done figured out you can't predict where the holes appear so put them where ventilation matters, lungs. Ventilate the air pump they eventually go down. Coincidencidentally the hydraulic pump is also sited inside the air pump.
Or you take my father's advice shift aim to the forward end of the air pump and break down the running gear because run they will. Trust me, most of the blood trails I've followed were the result of buckshot.

Timberjack86

I've killed all but a few of mine with a twelve gauge. Figured out the best load out of a shotgun, any shotgun, for deer is going to be a slug, period. Better range, accuracy enough to ensure incapacitating hits and instant incapacitation.
That said buckshot is a fine deer killer once you understand buckshot and the only way you're going to understand buckshot is hang some paper and get to shooting, alot. So much that you shoulder might need reconstructive surgery.
Now that you've done that and understand that average smooth bore and a five pack of 00 ain't no good much past 25 yards but you've figured out which choke and load squeezes out another ten yards let's talk about where to hit them.
Well you've done figured out you can't predict where the holes appear so put them where ventilation matters, lungs. Ventilate the air pump they eventually go down. Coincidencidentally the hydraulic pump is also sited inside the air pump.
Or you take my father's advice shift aim to the forward end of the air pump and break down the running gear because run they will. Trust me, most of the blood trails I've followed were the result of buckshot.
25 yards? I'm getting 4-5 pellets in the kill zone at 50. More than enough for a clean kill. Aim for the shoulder.

25 yards? I'm getting 4-5 pellets in the kill zone at 50. More than enough for a clean kill. Aim for the shoulder.

Note, I said average and just a random five pack. I've seen guns that shoot tight and others that shoot loose no matter what the choke says it is. You can't know until you put it in paper.
The 25 yards is what I've seen over the years as a starting point with random gun/load combinations. Most with a little careful selection can stretch that to 35, the better ones to 45 but they are the exception.
Usually this is done with the smaller buckshot sizes that behave more like a true shotshell than the bigger ought.
But that's just my observation, ymmv.

Timberjack86

Note, I said average and just a random five pack. I've seen guns that shoot tight and others that shoot loose no matter what the choke says it is. You can't know until you put it in paper.
The 25 yards is what I've seen over the years as a starting point with random gun/load combinations. Most with a little careful selection can stretch that to 35, the better ones to 45 but they are the exception.
Usually this is done with the smaller buckshot sizes that behave more like a true shotshell than the bigger ought.
But that's just my observation, ymmv.
Gotcha, I wouldn't hunt with it if I can't get a good pattern at 40 yards.