Which Did You Use?

280 Man

Banned
For those that have a red dot or scope on their turkey gun how did you mount it, saddle mount or drill and tap the receiver! As I noted in another thread Im going to put a sight on my 870 before next season but not really sure how I wanna go about it!

Skyhawk

Does your barrel have a rib? I've been using a reflex sight on a rib mount for years. No drilling/tapping or saddle. It's light weight and has no issue with POI/POA shift since the sight is on the barrel. I can't imagine using anything else. Meadow Creek Mounts has some rib mounts that fit the 870 rib and most popular sights.

Bud Man

Ive had a saddle on my 870 for years , no problems ever , quick and easy to remove if needed also

chrislibby88

I’m rocking a 1.5 power mini ACOG on a rail with a large dot and post reticle, they call it a lollipop. My mossberg came drilled and tapped, so putting a rail on it was easy. They make weaver and picatinny rails (different specs) so make sure you get the correct rail for the mount on your optic. Most will work with either, but I have some mounts that only work with pic rails, and notweavers.

buckpasser

No matter how you get it mounted, I think you’ll be glad you did. “Misses” are usually just a nicer way to say badly wounded and will never be recovered (except for by the coyotes). Red dots make missing so much more difficult, and clean kills so much more possible.

ShortMagFan

Burris Fasfire mounted with 336 base, speed bead or weaver base. All will work. 336 base will require at least one hole to be drilled (2 if your gun isn’t already drilled and tapped). Weaver base will need to be drilled and tapped if your gun isn’t already. Speed Bead fits between stock and receiver.

I’ve used all 3 methods and been happy with them

chrislibby88

I may try a saddle mount first and see how it performs!
Saddle will be a lot less permanent, but will put your optic up a little higher. If you are used to a low cheek weld looking down the rib the saddle will probably put you on more of a jaw weld. I like the pic rail so you can get the sight much lower on the bore axis, which will also give you a closer point of aim/point of impact at different ranges. A super high optic will put your hits lower than your point of aim at point blank ranges, you may not notice with a wider pattern, but a super tight pattern could be an inch or two low inside 10 yards. Hopefully you’ll have a shot before then, but something to consider.

cddogfan1

Does your barrel have a rib? I've been using a reflex sight on a rib mount for years. No drilling/tapping or saddle. It's light weight and has no issue with POI/POA shift since the sight is on the barrel. I can't imagine using anything else. Meadow Creek Mounts has some rib mounts that fit the 870 rib and most popular sights.

What brand is it and where did you get it. I want one like this.

GADawg08

I went with the weaver multi slot rail. It gives you more options as far as what type of sight you can use, whether it be a burris (which is what I have) or even a regular scope

frankwright

I used a saddle mount on my 870 20ga for years and finally had it drilled and tapped for a regular base. I like it better as it sits lower.
I had not seen the rib mount before, that is a good option!