Which one? First side imaging….budget of course

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So I’ve waited long enough and am ready to get my first side view fish finder. I’m pretty much set on a Garmin 7, maybe lowrance. They are both $500, thats pretty much my budget. The garmin plus writes maps and lowrance comes with them I think anywho. Can we beat this dead horse another time and help me decide. I used to spend a lot of time on the toona, but haven’t had a working fish finder in about 2 or 3 years…….hence the neglect to my love of fishing. I’m really wanting to get back at it and I know the wife would love it to…..f I can find some spaghetti again.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have a Helix 7.. I haven't used it that much, but what I have, I liked it.

Just be aware the learning curve is pretty steep on these, and I haven't gotten all the bells and whistles figured out yet. I am seriously considering taking a class from someone on Lanier in my boat, with my equipment so I can get a better handle on the operation of this unit

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I just saw the post about the 93 UHD….at $700 for a 9” screen with maps and everything, I’m gonna have to increase my budget just a touch. It’s exactly what I want, I think.

Angel Eyes

I fish Allatoona with a Garmin 93sv. I simply bought Garmin because it was reviewed to be the easiest to learn. Also has touchscreen which I really appreciate. But the Garmin does get interference with some trolling motors and there is recent thread on freshwater fishing that talks about it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Just got back from cabelas and the poor kid knew less on the subject than me. Regardless, they had none In acworth. Looking online, it’s all about he transducers. Not sure what I need, just want decent side view, waypoints and would like to have maps. I’d be ok with drawing them as you go like some garmin units, but it’s confusing which one does what.

BoosterC

I have a Lowrance HDS-7 on my electric and hummingbird Helix-9 on my bassboat. I have had the Lowrance almost 8 years. I think you will find that you won't use the side imaging as much as you think. Sure, it occassionally spots structure you weren't aware of before, but it is the Down and regular sonar that will dominate your fish finding. That said, I think the three major brands are all about equal in this domain. Again, get the biggest screen because on Down the fish are dots! The screen can't be too big. On Sonar fish are normally arches, but sometimes on Sonar you can't tell between branches of a brush pile from a school of fish. With Down you can distinguish the difference. CHirp (multi-frequency) sonar is superior. and having multi frequency Down is superior to single. Sometimes you see things better at say 400MHZ and others at 800 MHz. Being able to switch can be key. Fishing Shallow, Mega freq is even better.
Keep your sonar batteries separate from your trolling motors batteries or you may (will) get mega interference. These units draw a lot more power so keep them on a good strong battery.
That is my 2 cents.

doomtrpr_z71

I was not impressed at all by the lowrance I had, the maps were not that great and the sonar wasn't as good as my Helix. I am on Helix number 5 and have had no issues, I will say that getting the better transducer is worth it even if you have to have a smaller screen.

Fullnet2

I have a Lowrance HDS-7 on my electric and hummingbird Helix-9 on my bassboat. I have had the Lowrance almost 8 years. I think you will find that you won't use the side imaging as much as you think. Sure, it occassionally spots structure you weren't aware of before, but it is the Down and regular sonar that will dominate your fish finding. That said, I think the three major brands are all about equal in this domain. Again, get the biggest screen because on Down the fish are dots! The screen can't be too big. On Sonar fish are normally arches, but sometimes on Sonar you can't tell between branches of a brush pile from a school of fish. With Down you can distinguish the difference. CHirp (multi-frequency) sonar is superior. and having multi frequency Down is superior to single. Sometimes you see things better at say 400MHZ and others at 800 MHz. Being able to switch can be key. Fishing Shallow, Mega freq is even better.
Keep your sonar batteries separate from your trolling motors batteries or you may (will) get mega interference. These units draw a lot more power so keep them on a good strong battery.
That is my 2 cents.
I agree with most of what Booster says however I do use my side imaging quite a lot. The helix is easy to navigate and gives a good pic. Personally, I'd rather have a helix for what I'm doing which is primarily crappie fishing. I have owned both Lowrance and Garmin . For 2d they can't be beat imp.
Good Luck Fishing

hopper

I went with the Garmin 93sv Echomap a year or so ago. Easy peasy to use and get the hang of plus I can add panoptix next. The side image isn't the best for me but not horrible. I hear the newer units with the better transducer give better side image than what I got. Basic maps with contours are already on it. I have only used it on Lanier and pretty happy with it.
Good Luck finding one.

hipster dufus

Hav had a 93sv for 3 yrs. really love the maps. I fish oconee primarily and though i use side image, i fish too shallow for it much of the time. I too need a class on it. With the maps i hilite depth ranges n use that to narrow areas down. Cost me 600$. I hav it hooked to my startin batt. No interference.can not read at speed. Do not find that an issue. Mine will make maps but never used it. Good luck n no matter wat, get the bigger screen.