Which shotgun do you prefer for buckshot

Dennis

Got my hands on a 870 so now to start playing with chokes and different loads. Anybody got any factory loads and choke they recommend

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Got my hands on a 870 so now to start playing with chokes and different loads. Anybody got any factory loads and choke they recommend
Seller and Belot clear 12g OO buck pack a punch on out there.
Oh bout 10 I’ve dropped at 100 yards.
Tough shells at 2 3/4.

I presume what you have is a new 870 Express model. If so it, came with one modified choke already installed. I suggest starting from there to get a baseline for pattern comparisons. A few 5 packs of different buckshot loads of your choice will get you started. This will also let you know if your new shotguns centers its patterns.

Checking the relationship between pattern center and point of aim is a fundamental starting point with any new shotgun.

Last edited:

Dennis

It's a earlier 870 but with Remchokes I do have a mod and a full chokes I'm not new to deer hunting I've been at it for almost 50 years but Ive never killed one with a shotgun so this is a little new. Thanks for all the info

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Great info guys.....I want to carry some buckshot this year, but this discussion has made me realize I’m not Even ready for Turkey season either . I got a full choke last year and a good pattern with my #7.5 turkey ammo. But buckshot won’t be the same and I never shot it out of this gun. Definitely need a stack of paper plates and a trip to the range.