Whitetail Institute Imperial or Pennington Durana

rshunter

Which one would you pick and could I overseed a oat/rye plot with it now in Meriwether County or is it to late?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Durana is "very" forgiving when it comes to slightly more acidic soil and lower P&K. If you have proper P&K and a ph of 6.8, you could go with WI and have great success.

davidhelmly

Durana all the way, durana is 100% white clover, WI is a very small percentage of their good white clover and lots of annual clover as a filler.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I forgot about that, David!!

Imperial Whitetail Institute1.JPG

rshunter

Durana it is then. Could I simply spread it into this stand of BFO and Abruzzi Rye and it take? Obviously I dont want to turn the dirt in its current state.

Attachments

• 20201107_172503.jpg
    20201107_172503.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 25

davidhelmly

That’s what I would do but try and do it just before a rain, if you have a cultipacker I would use it after seeding.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That’s what I would do but try and do it just before a rain, if you have a cultipacker I would use it after seeding.

This. ^ You're going to need good seed to ground contact to get it to take in any quantity.

Ihunt

You can buy the Berseem and the Insight Ladino by themselves. The only one that is proprietary is the WT-170.

The Insight Ladino is a great clover but needs a dirt that holds moisture. If you have that, I would suggest you mix it and some Berseem together. I do think deer prefer both of those over the Duranna.

Now, I’ve said this before. Duranna is the bulldog of the clover world. What little it MAY lack in attractiveness it more than makes up for it with hardiness. If you get it established, it will last and last. It may go dormant in the heat of summer but will bounce back very quickly as soon as the rains start back in early fall.

Now, if they could just crossbreed me a Insight Ladino, Berseem, and Duranna clover .......

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think you're going to have any trouble getting white clover to seed in or grow. At least here in my neck of the woods, it is impossible to have a lawn without white clover getting into it unless you spray it several times a year. You plant grass, within two years it's a patch of clover. And that's just with seeds being planted by nature.