Whitetail Shot Placement - QDMA, Sept. 2017

BornToHuntAndFish

More good tips worth considering . . .

https://www.qdma.com/white-tailed-deer-shot-placement/

White-tailed Deer Shot Placement [Video]

September 22, 2017

QDMA recommends only the heart/lung vital area as a target. While a head or neck shot with a rifle can be extremely lethal as well, there is very little margin for error. If the bullet is off by even an inch or two, the result can be a serious wound in a non-vital area of the head that can cause a long, slow death, and you will not recover the deer. The heart/lung area presents a much wider area of lethal opportunity.

QDMA-vital-final-630x339.jpg

or larger wide same image at web link below:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r_iswMukM8Y/maxresdefault.jpg

OR

Time = 2:17

Best Shot Placement on White-tailed Deer

QDMA

Published on Sep 19, 2017

Watch as QDMA's Kip Adams describes where to aim on a white-tailed deer's body for the most effective and humane shot possible, whether hunting with a rifle or a bow.

AND

https://www.qdma.com/five-rules-for-recovering-liver-shot-deer/

Five Rules for Recovering Liver-Shot Deer

October 5, 2016

organ-diagram-2-760x325.jpg

The liver (dark purple) is tucked just behind the lungs.
The white line shows the location of the entire organ behind the lung.

AND

Time = 2:50

Deer Anatomy & Where to Aim On a Deer | Cabela's Deer Nation

Cabela's Hunting

Published on Dec 22, 2015

Cabela's Pro Staff member Aaron Warbritton explains deer anatomy and how to drop a buck based on certain areas of his body. Aaron discusses the differences between hitting a deer in the heart and lungs, liver, spine and arteries, plus a deer's bone structure.

AND

Time = 4:41

Deer Hunting Shot Placement: See a Whitetail Deer's Heart, Lungs and Liver

Deer Hunting

Published on Jan 11, 2015

Take a look at what a whitetail deer's ribs, spine, heart, lungs and liver look like with this incredible video. Wisconsin taxidermist Brian Johnson removed the hide, muscles and sinew to reveal a deer's internal organs, then used an air compressor attached to the trachea to inflate the lungs.

Johnson is the owner of Revolution Taxidermy Supply and has some awesome mounts. He uses this partial deer and inflates the lungs to dispel the myth of a "no zone" between the lungs and spine.

AND

Time = 53:58

Deer Lungs

Masterpiece Archery Targets

Published on March 5, 2015

This video is about Deer Lungs

AND

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/shot-placement-on-deer

You Shot a Deer. Here's How to Find It

November 4, 2016

"CLICK A VITAL AREA FOR DETAILS"

trailing-4.jpg

AND

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/d...-tips/just-how-good-of-a-deer-tracker-are-you

Just How Good of a Deer Tracker Are You?

April 5, 2016

ADDH-Tracking-Chart-625-1.jpg

:bounce:

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Great info, BTHF, as always!!!!!

BornToHuntAndFish

Great info, BTHF, as always!!!!!

Jim, your good words are always appreciated. Glad recent fine educational material keeps coming out to the public. Sure is nice stumbling across a wealth of helpful info at times to share with others. Thank you, Sir!

:D

killerv

I always line up the vertical crosshair like shown in the video.

One other thing to remember, the lungs aren't always that big, depends if the deer is inhaling or exhaling. There was an excellent video showing a deers lung being filled with air and how far many ribs back it can expand to and how few ribs back when its they aren't expanded.

BornToHuntAndFish

Great stuff. Thanks!

Glad you liked it. Thx.

I always line up the vertical crosshair like shown in the video.

One other thing to remember, the lungs aren't always that big, depends if the deer is inhaling or exhaling. There was an excellent video showing a deers lung being filled with air and how far many ribs back it can expand to and how few ribs back when its they aren't expanded.

Good point. I remember watching that fine educational long video demonstration inflating & deflating deer lungs. I updated the 1st post with that 54-min. video by Wisconsin taxidermist Brian Johnson, but I also added one of his earlier shorter videos which is under 5-min. that sounds like he filmed it at the ATA Show. I finally added a 3rd shorter under 3-min. video on deer anatomy which includes deer archery shot examples from past hunts.

Thank you.

shootemall

I play pop quiz with my boys when i see a picture or taxidermy ( and sometimes use our dog as an example) and have them tell me where they'd aim for the best shot placement, given the angle. I plan on sharing these images with them to hopefully help them to better understand my point. Thanks for posting.

killerv

I play pop quiz with my boys when i see a picture or taxidermy ( and sometimes use our dog as an example) and have them tell me where they'd aim for the best shot placement, given the angle. I plan on sharing these images with them to hopefully help them to better understand my point. Thanks for posting.

I'm doing it now, got a 9yo siked about tomorrow morning

Mako22

BANNED
Wonderful videos and graphics but I still put three down with neck shots last season and will continue to do so.