Who daily drives old stuff by CHOICE??

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
A little story...

In 1999, I just HAD to have a new truck, so I signed up for a Toyota Tacoma TRD all macked out, and the payments to go with it.

This was in late summer, and I was dog deer hunting in those days. After the first deer season, my new truck had brush burn, a cracked windshield, a tree dent in the tailgate, and enough dirt inside to plant taters.

It hadn't rolled over 10k on the odo, and I still had 39 payments to go. I had it detailed, buffed out, and put it on my buddy's used lot for sale.

Luckily, a guy got sucked in by the winch, and 31/10.50 Swampers, and I got out gracefully.

Never again.

Tight Lines

I do, just sold an '06 Acura and bought the first new car since that one...I'm driving a 2011 GMC Yukon XL 4WD w/ just over 100K on it, will drive it until the wheels fall off...

GoldDot40

'02 Silverado 4WD with 204,XXX miles on it. Had it since 2010 as my daily driver. Hasn't been flawless, but still has been an outstanding truck. If the engine locked up tomorrow, I'd rebuild it and keep on keeping on.

ucfireman

2007 tacoma 2.7 4cyl 5spd/ 252000.
I want a new truck but cant bring myself to buy.
Probably will just before retirement.
And 89 Dakota Convertible for the nice weather.

crackerdave

I drive my old '86 Chevy silverado about twice a week now it stays in my shop our of the weather when not being used.

We do have 2 2019 vehicles. My Wife has a Rogue SUV and I have a Nissan Frontier. Neither of them get driven very much being elderly and retired for many years we stay home most of the time nowadays. We had the money to pay for the Nissans and at our age we said why not ? We have not had any car payments since before the turn of the 21st century, and we have not had a mortgage in a very long time either.

Honestly I had rather have my old Chevy than either one of the Nissan's.

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Yep...
2002 Montero Limited 4WD on the left, 209K
2003 Montero Sport Limited 2WD on the right, 195K
Both loaded, leather, sunroof, etc. The full sized Montero is known as the frugal man's Land Cruiser, an amazingly capable off road vehicle, and a surprising level of luxury and tech for it's era.
20200429_132944_HDR.jpg
Wife won't have anything else, so I'm left with maintaining hers until?
I like mine so much I bought another one...-2006 Montero Limited 4WD with a broken timing belt and 136K. It is still in my garage undergoing a lazy surgical procedure.
20201003_154250.jpg
20201003_154209.jpg
Man...I've got to get back to work on that thing, my wife has been very patient, since hers always lives in our one-car garage!

Robert28

01 silverado 2500 4wd, I work on late model vehicles daily, I won't own one ! They've continued to over-complicate, over-computerize every aspect of todays vehicles, which only leads to problems with electrical circuits, connections, grounds, etc,, drivetrains are designed to get the most fuel mileage possible, which the majority of the time means it is NOT going to be durable, or last very long without having to have major repairs, for example just rebuilt the trans in a 2017 silverado with only 90k on the clock, seeing a lot of them not making it to 100k before needing a major rebuild.

I won't own stuff I can't depend on
The 2017’s are known for transmission issues. They seem to have corrected whatever it was in 2018 but I know the 8 speeds are trouble compared to the 6 speeds.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Before retiring two years ago, my daily to work and back driver was a hand me down from wife to daughter to me 1997 Volvo 960 wagon, the last of the rear wheel drive Volvos. The year before I retired, it got tee boned crushing the driver's side door partially and the passenger door worse. I could get in and out of the driver's door. No insurance was involved and cost of repair exceeded value but it was still safe to drive. I stuffed pipe insulation in the open spaces between frame and back passenger door to keep out rain and air flow. The neighbors loved it, especially when pollen covered it. I depended on the rain to wash it. When I retired, I gave it to one of the younger employees where I worked. My weekender was my 4x4 winch equipped 2003 Sequoia. A year ago September, I bought a 2016 4Runner. I still have the Sequoia but my wife is begging me to sell it. I can't bring myself to do so; it would be like selling one of my dogs. It has 225,000 miles on it. Before I bought the 4Runner, I had a factory trained Toyota mechanic who owned his own shop check it out. "I don't know if you want to hear this, but I see no reason why it can't drive over 300K." Gil

transfixer

The 2017’s are known for transmission issues. They seem to have corrected whatever it was in 2018 but I know the 8 speeds are trouble compared to the 6 speeds.

As far as I know they haven't changed the programming on the 6spds, and the issue with them is mainly because they are bringing the torque converter clutch on almost immediately in 2nd gear, and keeping it on through gear changes, sometimes partially on,,, sometimes fully on, that puts an undue strain and causes premature wear on that clutch plate, causing it to shed material, which in turn circulates through the all aluminum pump housing, and acts like sand, tearing up the pump, and filling the fluid full of a graphite looking clutch material, if someone drives mostly on the highway, with very little in town driving, they will get more miles out of it before it needs repairs, but driving around town causes quicker failures, and to add to it because it shifts so many times, up and down, the valvebody wears excessively which causes lower operating pressures than it needs to work correctly,

They've basically over complicated the thing, in an effort to get better fuel mileage, and it does accomplish that, until you have to rebuild it , then you've just lost all that money you saved on fuel.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I will if I ever get my shop built(Foundation is in. I'm not paying crazy prices for lumber).

I have the following in inventory waiting to be restored and updated:

1957 Mack B61
1961 Unimog
1962 Unimog
1974 Mini(already restored)
1974 Scout 800
1975 Blazer
1976 Bronco
1977 Bronco
1978 Glastron Carlson CVX20
1981 CJ8 Scrambler(already restored)
1997 F350 DRW

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I will if I ever get my shop built(Foundation is in. I'm not paying crazy prices for lumber).

1961 Unimog
1962 Unimog
1974 Scout 800
1975 Blazer
1976 Bronco
1977 Bronco
1997 F350 DRW

Would LOVE an old Unimog, and/or an M37 Dodge...

I like your style,JIB.

bassboy1

01 silverado 2500 4wd, I work on late model vehicles daily, I won't own one ! They've continued to over-complicate, over-computerize every aspect of todays vehicles, which only leads to problems with electrical circuits, connections, grounds, etc,, drivetrains are designed to get the most fuel mileage possible, which the majority of the time means it is NOT going to be durable, or last very long without having to have major repairs, for example just rebuilt the trans in a 2017 silverado with only 90k on the clock, seeing a lot of them not making it to 100k before needing a major rebuild.

I won't own stuff I can't depend on

I don't disagree with your sentiment at all, however I remember everybody saying the exact same stuff about the '99 - '07s when they were new, and 15-20 years later, here we are with them as the standard for 'ole reliable...'

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Would LOVE an old Unimog, and/or an M37 Dodge...

I like your style,JIB.
I purchased four M715s from the GA Forestry Commission about 12 years ago. They had a lot of M37's sitting there too. Could have gotten them for $500 each give or take.
I was tired of driving down to Macon to drag trucks home.

Everything was rust free since they had all been sitting in fire stations for brush trucks.

transfixer

I don't disagree with your sentiment at all, however I remember everybody saying the exact same stuff about the '99 - '07s when they were new, and 15-20 years later, here we are with them as the standard for 'ole reliable...'

99-07 4L60e's were no different internally than the previous 4 or 5 years, only difference was they started using a removeable bellhousing on all 4L60e's then, programming was the same,

Internally the 6spds are a decent transmission, I'll even go so far as to say they're a good transmission, you can use a tuning program to change the parameters of when the torque converter clutch applies , making it apply only after 4th or 5th gear and the unit will live a LOT longer,, of course , technically that is against the law.

Now the 8spds and 10spds are a total different animal, all bets are off with them, but they will likely be much worse than the 6spds,,

Good for my business,, bad for the consumers.

normaldave

GON Weatherman

1957 Mack B61
1961 Unimog
1962 Unimog
1974 Scout 800
1975 Blazer
1976 Bronco
1977 Bronco
1997 F350 DRW

GON North campout/4WD gathering at @jiminbogart's place? :rockon:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Just to be clear, most of my stuff is junk waiting to be restored.
"Junk" you say?...purely perspective my man...Remember "JLM" Junk (4WD) Lives Matter. :fine: