Who else is quickly going through their venison?

TJay

In good shape. Last year we were supposed to split a half of beef with someone else and due to a miscommunication we wound up with a half beef for just my wife and I. It's a lot of beef. Throw in a nice sized buck and an antelope and assorted chicken and pork and we are set for a while.

With two of my 3 kids away at college we have scaled back on the number of deer we harvest. When all were home we used to take 5 to 6 a year (mostly for us but some given to family and friends). We scaled back the harvest last couple of years. This past season we only took 3 deer (one does, 2 bucks) figuring that would last till next season. NOW, we have everyone home, we have two others (Covid refugees) staying with us, we have 7 people eating every meal at home (5 of them are under 23 yrs).
We are down to 5 pounds of ground and 20 pounds of staps, loins, & steaks. I KNEW I should have taken that extra doe!

I imagine others are seeing their freezer being depleted quicker than normal, too.

Time to load up with some fish!

Stay safe and stay healthy.
Curtis I think you hunt by my buddy at county rd hunt club, let me tell ya , them guys killed about 90 deer there this year and about 20 bucks, they murdered them, if you need some meat ill give you his number because next year i can guarantee you wont see many over there, its gona take a few years to recover

Souhternhunter17

I am still in good shape with my deer meat but it is just my fiance and I eating off the two bucks I killed this year. We eat deer meat probably 1-2 twice a week or so. I am trying to stretch my supply out to next fall much like everyone else.

The Donk

We actually made the decision to save our venison in case there was a meat shortage and grocery shop once a week. The shelves have been stocked pretty good where we live as far as meat is concerned, but its nice to know we have some meat in the freezer in case we need it. The turkey however went down the hatch quick.

toolmkr20

We still have plenty. We are also still eating other meat though from our local meat market. Plenty of chicken, pork and beef. We keep two freezers full of meat year round though.

Curtis

Curtis I think you hunt by my buddy at county rd hunt club, let me tell ya , them guys killed about 90 deer there this year and about 20 bucks, they murdered them, if you need some meat ill give you his number because next year i can guarantee you wont see many over there, its gona take a few years to recover

Terrell,
Yes, that is the primary place we hunt. Thanks for the info about the neighbors. That explains a lot about the weird pattern we had at our club this year. Very few kills and only one buck until mid December. The last three or four weeks of the season was when we started having success. I guess that is once them boys next door were done.

Thankfully my boys and I mix it up and hunt the club as well as small suburban piece outside of Newnan, and a 120 acre piece in Plains that we are the only ones that hunt. Most of our guys only hunt the club so there was some real disappointment this year.

At any rate, we are grateful for the venison we have and for the deer we took this year. May bump it up by one kill next year!

Hope you are well.