who here.....has a stick steering boat??

goblr77

Here`s mine. Unfortunately, they have discontinued it. If I ever do tear it all to pieces, I`ll be lookin` into an Extreme. I see one on Seminole from time to time, and it looks bulletproof.

Nic,

That's a good looking setup you have. When you decide to go looking for another boat give War Eagle a look. I've been running a model 648 with a 50 Merc on Seminole since 2001 and love that boat. The one I have is very similar to your setup. It's tough as nails and handles really well.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, who was your boat made by?

Mud, it`s a Lowe Roughneck 1652SS with a 40 horse 4 stroke Mercury.

Nic,

That's a good looking setup you have. When you decide to go looking for another boat give War Eagle a look. I've been running a model 648 with a 50 Merc on Seminole since 2001 and love that boat. The one I have is very similar to your setup. It's tough as nails and handles really well.

Thanks! I`ll check those out. We`ve probably seen each other out there before. :cheers:

OleCountryBoy

....started this, and didn't post my OWN boat picture! Here is one that shows the interior.

*lockable rod lockers on both sides...nice when in a parking lot feeding my face on way to/from lake. Room for rods and 'stuff' in each. By the way my wife LOVES to sit on the carpeted edge and put her feet in the water when I'm easing around in back waters fishing....she reads a book.
* no switching locations when arriving at fishing spot...we are already 'in place' and ready to fish.
*LOVE my trim/tilt for shallow waters AND my being up front where I can see stumps or obstructions...plenty of time to avert hits if I'm going slow enough.
*light aluminum boat for the ability to get out and PUSH in shallows IF I got it stuck [happened once in the flats of Lake Acworth but it was hot so.....felt good].

Dislikes:
***of course it is NOT a 'rough water' boat. But we usually go in buddy's boats if going to 'big water'.
*..it's not as roomy as a 20+ foot center console, but then it's never going to be : )

Alan, I've found a good used 2004 Triton like yours with a Honda 40. Might pull the trigger on it this weekend.

carlt

i have a panfish 16 only thing i dislike about it is the lack of storage the rod boxes are so shallow you cannot fit anything other than low profile baitcasters in them

rick1475

i have a 1648 gruman only gripe, as stated in an early post is the rough ride on big water. other than that love it.

OleCountryBoy

Just took her for a quick spin this morning. I'm not crazy about the cooler space in the front, I'm probably gonna remodel the front end...thinking about putting a custom fitted 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate on top of the bow. Or make the cooler space into a hatch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 2,251

Alan in GA

alterations...

we were on the hooch in mine [Bull Sluice] and talked about how much deck there is up there if the cooler recess was level with the rest of the bow. Put more non skid up there or carpet the whole thing....
Let me know what you do...( you first ha ha!)
I want a cooler SOMEWHERE, but agree with you, that's not the spot. Maybe a separating wall in the live well???
Glad you got it...now we can compare notes and projects.

Wonder if the cooler itself could be cut to be shorter to where it would be level...still enough space for water bottle and ice??
Also, I want a stick extension for easier steering when standing up and idling through the shallows!...maybe only a half foot longer...might just replace the stock steering handle/rod.

Alan in GA

updates??.....

Just took her for a quick spin this morning. I'm not crazy about the cooler space in the front, I'm probably gonna remodel the front end...thinking about putting a custom fitted 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate on top of the bow. Or make the cooler space into a hatch.

Done anything with your Stick Steer?

Alan in GA

hmmm

Are you sure? Looks like a stick steer to me.

Last edited:

Alan in GA

I have the same boat model...

when motor is "full left turn" mode as is in picture, steering stick is horizontal with floor of boat,..all the way back out of sight. It is a stick steer.

Inline6

Anyone have a chance to try out one of the newer style stick steers with a modified v front end? Was wandering if it took away the stability the stick steers have always had.

Would love to have a Triton like Alans. Hard to find a stick steer with dual rod lockers and decent sized livewell. Lowe quit making the Roughneck that was the all around perfect hunting/crappie fishing machine.