who here.....has a stick steering boat??

Alan in GA

...and what do you like/dislike about it?
rough ride in 'big water' is my only dislike about the one I had years ago. Considering a new one now for 'backwaters' and rivers.
I really LIKE being able to stand up and navigate slowly to watch for submerged hull eaters [rocks/stumps/etc].
I also LIKE haveing the fishing buddy STAY in the back with HIS stuff! : )

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have one, and for my type and style of fishin`, it suits me to a T. I also hunt out of it too.

stick steering

I have one i use on the lakes, rivers, and the flats. I love mine. Like been able to see in front of the boat better than a regular steering wheel.

...and what do you like/dislike about it?
rough ride in 'big water' is my only dislike about the one I had years ago. Considering a new one now for 'backwaters' and rivers.
I really LIKE being able to stand up and navigate slowly to watch for submerged hull eaters [rocks/stumps/etc].
I also LIKE haveing the fishing buddy STAY in the back with HIS stuff! : )

Had one for about for about 15 years, and loved all the advantages you list. Especially the ability to navigate around stumps and such. Even with sandbars at low speed, the boat is better balanced for getting around them.

Alan in GA

I'm pretty sure....that...

I think air boats steer the same way, right?

B.Hud

i have a 16 foot war eagle... a little small for lanier when traffic is heavy looking to upgrade soon

Washington95

Have a Lowe 15'2" with 25hp. It's ok especially if I'm by myself, but second person is cramped, boat is stable but narrow. Wife wants me to sell it and get something like 17' console with 40hp T&T. Might be pushing it for the Oconee, where I like to fish. Water about 2 feet right now.

lugnutz

I have a 16 foot Crestliner '05, 40 hp mercury, 55lb thrust autopilot MinnKota, 20 gal live well, 4 - 4 rod holders, custom seats, fish finder, good storage space, custo Cabellas trailer, ready to drop and fish anyways. I was getting ready to post on craigslist for 8,500. I like it for all the same reasons above, gets on plane pretty good for a 40. I just moved up to north georgia and have other fishing interests and adventures on my mind presently. Not trying to make this a for sale post but I do like the stick steer set up and if I get another boat I would go for the stick steer.:flag:

OleCountryBoy

Resurrecting an old thread.....I'm shopping for a used 16-17 Stick Steer rig with a 40 or 50 hp. Show me some pics of your rigs and tell me what you like and maybe what you wished you'd done different. I've seen some with livewell in the middle and on the side, some have lots of rod storage and some without. Triton looks like a good layout but it may be cramped. Do any of you have a Rhino?

jaybro28

I like my stick steer most of the time, especially when I'm just tooling around on lazy summer days. The two things I don't like about it are 1) it's a road block moving from front to back and 2) sometimes I'd rather be standing and can't.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here`s mine. Unfortunately, they have discontinued it. If I ever do tear it all to pieces, I`ll be lookin` into an Extreme. I see one on Seminole from time to time, and it looks bulletproof.

Attachments

• loweboat.jpg
    loweboat.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4,776
  • loweboat2.jpg
    loweboat2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 5,526

hunter243

I had a Grumman 1648 w/25hp and I loved it for river fishing and small lakes. I wished it would have had a bigger motor and I would still have it.

Alan in GA

well shame on me....

....started this, and didn't post my OWN boat picture! Here is one that shows the interior.

*lockable rod lockers on both sides...nice when in a parking lot feeding my face on way to/from lake. Room for rods and 'stuff' in each. By the way my wife LOVES to sit on the carpeted edge and put her feet in the water when I'm easing around in back waters fishing....she reads a book.
* no switching locations when arriving at fishing spot...we are already 'in place' and ready to fish.
*LOVE my trim/tilt for shallow waters AND my being up front where I can see stumps or obstructions...plenty of time to avert hits if I'm going slow enough.
*light aluminum boat for the ability to get out and PUSH in shallows IF I got it stuck [happened once in the flats of Lake Acworth but it was hot so.....felt good].

Dislikes:
***of course it is NOT a 'rough water' boat. But we usually go in buddy's boats if going to 'big water'.
*..it's not as roomy as a 20+ foot center console, but then it's never going to be : )

Attachments

• Triton 1653SS at Acworth.jpg
    Triton 1653SS at Acworth.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 8,238