Who inherits the Country Music King's Throne?

While I like George Strait,he’s not one of my favorites. But, he IS one of the greats. I like Don Williams a lot.
Saw Don Williams before he died from the front row at the Lucas Theater in Savannah. He means a lot to me. Only cassette tape I had in my truck when my daughter was little was Don's greatest hits. We rode around singing "Lord I hope this day is good" loud and out of tune. Now he is gone, she is grown, and when I hear that song it really gets me. Hope he ran into old Burt in heaven and shook his hand for me!

Duff

I’ve been to ALOT of concerts. ALOT. Travis Tritt was by far the worst performance I’ve ever seen. He sounded like courage the cowardly lion. He was one of my all time favorites, but haven’t been able to look at him the same since.

George Strait, followed by AJ get my vote

Wow. That surprises me

treemanjohn

Banned
George Strait is like Elvis he's a face and a voice. Doesn't write his own stuff. I would leave it be for now and let the possum keep the belt until some of the younger talent comes up

dirtnap

I’ve been to ALOT of concerts. ALOT. Travis Tritt was by far the worst performance I’ve ever seen. He sounded like courage the cowardly lion. He was one of my all time favorites, but haven’t been able to look at him the same since.
My wife’s stepmom went to one of his concerts and said the same thing

Artfuldodger

Maybe one of those Revivalist of the 80's-90's. Alan Jackson, George Strait, Clint Black, Randy Travis, or Ricky Van Shelton.

Redbow

Marty Stewart is the unofficial country music historian. He would be a good one. Started performing at 12 and he's very relevant today
I like Marty...His lead guitarist Kenny Vaughn can make that Telecaster twang..

Oldstick

One that I overlooked is Charlie Daniels. He may not have been considered pure country way back 40 years ago, but he does qualify in my book now, compared to what the radio plays nowadays.

So within the last 15-20 years I have seen Alan Jackson once, George Straight once, Travis Tritt twice, and Charlie Daniels at least 5 or 6 times. I would rank all 4 of them within the top five of any concert from old school major bands still touring within the last few years, rock, country or otherwise. Add ZZ-Top and Heart (both definitely not "country"), and that would round out the top 6 for me. But to inherit the pure country throne from George Jones still is a tall, tall order. Maybe it won't be decided for years to come.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I don’t know what happened there, but I’ve seen travis live a few times and sounded great and put on a heckuva show. And this is coming from a guy who used to play music for a living.
You can’t judge a performer by one show. Everybody has off nights, no matter who you are. You ever try to sing 90 minutes with a bad cold? Or with a horrible sound guy behind the board? Or maybe the day you learned a friend or family member passed? They have to.

TomC

Shoulda coulda been Keith Whitley....but :( Someone mentioned ZZ Top. New or maybe not new but really good documentary on Netflix about these boys. Good stuff!

Last edited:

snooker1

Been to a lot of concerts over the years. If you're looking for a show Garth Brooks puts on a show second to none. If you're looking for someone to just stand there and sing, George Strait is amazing. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings was an awesome concert. I pick my music depending on my mood. Alan Jackson has some of the best music, but no one can tell a story like Don Williams. Kenny Rodgers also has an incredible voice. And some evening I will turn on Barry White. I will take music over tv any day. I still have a box of 8 tracks in my closet. I don't know of any new artist that can hold a candle to some of the names I have mentioned.