Who is winter feeding?

Deernut3

I just re- fertilized the last two plots last weekend after seeing how the near bust acorn crop has them starving.

Jim Boyd

Mine ain’t starving.

We had a 50/50 acorn crop.

Winter is sort of a suggestion in this part of SC and we have a lot of browse.

Farmers have some winter wheat and there are some volunteer crops popping up.

2019 should be awesome.

Best of luck....

Josh B

I saw a lot of deer on my plots the last weekend of season but I quit filling my feeders. I'll start protein in April.

Mark K

Banned
Yes...mixture of corn and protein in feeders.
They are on the green in the harrowed fields. But, like you in SC, still a lot of natural browse.

Jim Boyd

365 days a year. Don’t forget minerals.

I think we do a fairly holistic job, we generally have a mineral lick station every 40 acres or so (on 850 acres).

Many are trace salt, molasses and
Di-cal.

Some are just trace salt and trophy rocks.

I am not sure the minerals play into the growth equation in the same manner as high protein food.

I think the sites are important but play a minor role in the overall equation of herd health.

Great point, though.

Jim Boyd

Is the vegetation inside the wire an uneaten version of the vegetation outside the wire?

Yessir, Jim, the exclusion cages allow you to ascertain usage of your plots.

Inside is what the field would look like with 0% browsing pressure.

Outside allows you to determine xx% browsing.

In the case of these plots, browsing pressure is rated as heavy - probably in the range of 75-90% pressure.

We do not have it all planted this year but with 36-38 acres of available plot ground (most with pH of 6.4 to 6.7), I conservatively estimate each acre probably supplies about 3 tons dry matter each winter and fixes in excess of 100 / lbs /ac N each year.

If we could get it all planted (38 ac), I believe we could provide about 120-140 tons of relatively high protein feed per winter and fix somewhere around 3800-4000 lbs N annually.

Again, I think these estimates are pretty conservative. We have corrected dirt, we fertilize at recommended rates and plant at the optimum time.

We have dependable winter rains each year (as opposed to risking drought in summer) and have been very successful with winter plots.

Last edited:

HughW2

Jim,
Thanks for sharing! The exclusion ring in your food plot and those big bucks are testament to how well your herd is doing! Congratulations on some really fine management. I hope to one day have my place doing that well.

Major Wader

My corn feeder is still running, and I had intended to fertilize the food plot this weekend, Guess next weekend will have to do.

davidhelmly

Great thread Jim, I am amazed at how tall your plots are. You guys are definitely doing it right!!