Who's Got Wood Duck Nesting Boxes

Coach Reynolds

It's time for my annual wood duck nesting boxes post! :) If you have them out its time to get them cleaned out and ready to go. If you don't have any out there is still plenty of time to get them built and put out. I built one last year and put it out as late as April. Two weeks later I had a hen wood duck sitting on her eggs (that is not always the case but it won't happen if you don't have a nesting box out there for them.) If you would like to put some out but just don't have time to build it, shoot me a PM and I might be able to help you out. Remember, when you provide a safe place for them to nest you are only helping build & grow the wood duck population. There's not much most of us can afford to do when it comes to ducks but putting out nesting boxes is one thing all us duck hunters can do!

Coach Reynolds

Mine are all in place and cleaned out. Will be getting them finished up today.

I got mine all ready to go yesterday. I had to take a stick and push out two screech owls out of 2 different boxes. It won't be long and those hens will be laying eggs. I had a couple boxes last year that had hens nesting by mid-Feb.

DSGB92

I have a hunting lease right in the river that i duck hunted for the first time this year. I am fairly new to the duck hunting world but I was planning on building some kind of nesting boxes. Do you mind sharing some info or pictures of some that work good for you? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hunting lease right in the river that i duck hunted for the first time this year. I am fairly new to the duck hunting world but I was planning on building some kind of nesting boxes. Do you mind sharing some info or pictures of some that work good for you? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Here is a good link to follow.

http://www.ducks.org/media/Conservation/GLARO/_documents/_library/_landowner/WoodDuck_NestBox.pdf

Plan on building a few new ones in the next few weeks and refreshing the ones I have out now.

Coach Reynolds

33 new nesting boxes! Amazing! Just think, that's 33 new safe places for wood ducks to lay eggs, and safely hatch new wood ducks! Man that gets me excited! Just awesome!

Coach Reynolds

This is one of the very first ones I put out 4 or 5 years ago. My son and I fixed it up and get ready to go for the upcoming nesting season.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,416

Coach Reynolds

Here's one I put out just last year. It had two different hens successfully hatch eggs last year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,446

kevbo3333

Good job, I will be putting two up around my pond with in the week. I had no luck with the one I put out last year.

ThreeAmigos

I've tried different ways but these work best for me at keeping unwanted guests out.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 1,407
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,387

Coach Reynolds

Those are definitely the best predator guards to use. Thankfully my 5 gallon buckets and the big Crystal Springs water jugs had done well.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

I've built one that had a successful hatch last year, but I was wondering can they be shorter than the specifications in the ducks unlimited plans and still be as successful.

Coach Reynolds

There are some other plans out there besides the ones from DU. But to answer your question I'm not sure. All the ones I've built have been from the DU plans. I think they can be a little smaller but not by much.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Alright thank you. There's a big bird house already built that I can have which is about a foot to short

TimR

We are putting out several new ones this year using galvanized steel poles. Do you think we still need the critter guards with the steel poles?

Coach Reynolds

We are putting out several new ones this year using galvanized steel poles. Do you think we still need the critter guards with the steel poles?

I would. I read an article the other day that said if you used a 4" PVC pipe then you wouldn't need a predator guard. I don't know how well the 4" PVC pipe alone works but a good predator guard does the job.