Why Are People So Amazingly Disrespectful Of Our Waters and Environment?

kayaksteve

It drives me crazy when I run in the grocery store or gas station and buy one little item and they want to stick it in a plastic bag because people think the handles are convenient. Bad thing is most people would be upset if they weren’t offered a bag even though it’s usually totally unnecessary

Tight Lines

It drives me crazy when I run in the grocery store or gas station and buy one little item and they want to stick it in a plastic bag because people think the handles are convenient. Bad thing is most people would be upset if they weren’t offered a bag even though it’s usually totally unnecessary
Yep grocery bags I never use if I can carry it all...and we recycle them regularly...

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Chaps my rear end, grew up on a farm and we have ponds, fortunate enough to have a 15ft mower and was mowing close to one of the ponds and it looked like someone (of course I didn't see it til I hit it) left a pack of styrofoam cups or plates idk looked like it had snowed after I hit it with the mower. Stopped giving permission after that. But you can always tell when there's trespassers by the trash left.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's sickening. I am constantly carrying other people's trash out of the woods. I don't understand why it's no problem for people to carry full beers, water and coke bottles, full bags of snacks, and full bait containers into the woods, but it's impossible for them to carry them out empty?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those that litter have little to no respect for anything, themselves included. And those who stack rocks in waterways aren`t much better.
The rock stacking here on our mountain streams is absolutely at a sickening and pervasive level. I kick at least a couple dozen back into the water almost every time I go trout fishing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The rock stacking here on our mountain streams is absolutely at a sickening and pervasive level. I kick at least a couple dozen back into the water almost every time I go trout fishing.

I`ve only seen it once in person. Here on the Flint. I scattered it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve only seen it once in person. Here on the Flint. I scattered it.
In the GSMNP and the national forests around here, it's to the point of ridiculousness.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Why are people stacking rocks?
It's just a craze, fad, or whatever. Anywhere a road or hiking trail comes near a creek, you find stack after stack. Sometimes dozens of cairns in one place. Some very tall and elaborate. It's to the point that the Forest Service puts up big "don't stack rocks" signs everywhere, and there are "don't stack rocks" bumper stickers.

cairn.jpg

campboy

It's just a craze, fad, or whatever. Anywhere a road or hiking trail comes near a creek, you find stack after stack. Sometimes dozens of cairns in one place. Some very tall and elaborate. It's to the point that the Forest Service puts up big "don't stack rocks" signs everywhere, and there are "don't stack rocks" bumper stickers.

View attachment 1103902

I see what you mean. That's more than just a young kid playing around in the creek

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see what you mean. That's more than just a young kid playing around in the creek
And that's a small one. It's mostly 20-something hipsters doing it. You know, rabid environmentalists killing thousands of benthic macroinvertabrates and messing up habitat for endangered salamanders, crawfish, and all other sorts of critters and not seeing the irony in it.

Tight Lines

View attachment 1103902
It is highly annoying, and damaging to the environment and wildlife. However, I'd take the stone stacking any day over the garbage.

On our lease when they thinned recently, they drained oil on one of our plots and left the oil containers and oil filters in the field...

If I could get a hold of that logger, I'd give him a piece of mind and maybe take a dump in the cab of equipment...why mess up our toilets?

ryork

And that's a small one. It's mostly 20-something hipsters doing it. You know, rabid environmentalists killing thousands of benthic macroinvertabrates and messing up habitat for endangered salamanders, crawfish, and all other sorts of critters and not seeing the irony in it.

I noticed a couple of those in Little River Canyon recently and noticed a sign about rock stacking somewhere in the Dept of Interior land there. Didn't realize it has become that big of a thing among the hipster crowd. One thing I can say though is that you don't see much in the way of trash left behind in that area, or at least I've never seen it.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Had no clue about that stacking rocks was even a thing, of course around here we don't have many rocks to begin with.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I've been saying for a long time that the left made a huge mistake by politicizing environmental issues. If they spent 1/4 of the money on clean up efforts and public education about how much nicer our public spaces would be if they were kept free of trash it would actually acomplish something other than padding the tax bill and increasing the campain funds for crooked politicians by billions every year. Lose the nonsense climate change angle and just focus on the undeniable fact that the earth is a better place to live in when we clean up after ourselves.

The environmental movement made a HUGE mistake back in the 1970s when they started talking about saving the planet. The planet ain't threatened in the least...its man that is threatened. Had the environmentalists back in the day been honest and said we oughta try and save the species and the planet will come along for the ride we may have been on to something. As it is we are busy saving the planet when it is our species that is threatened and most people can't be bothered because they could care less about the planet because they know there is NOTHING man can do to harm the planet. There is plenty we can do to make the planet unliveable for US....and we are doing it as fast as we can....but the planet will be fine. Our species will be flicked off the back of the planet like a flea off a dog when the planet can no longer tolerate us. The planet can survive anything....water levels get much higher and man is going to find out just what kind or parasite we are on the planet.

oldfella1962

Plastic is horrible.
It was a great invention but with no foresight as to what to do with it.
Yes it will break down but not into a natural product or state.
I hear the schools are teaching recycling. Maybe if they could teach pick up others trash too then we could make an improvement. But that is probably too much liability.
I bet most "polluters" are 35 or older. We were not taught about recycling and most older folks just a took their trash to the side of the road or to the hole outback.

I would love to see a deposit for plastic bottles like they used to have for glass, aluminum cans too.
Folks, including recycling companies, need to understand all plastic is recyclable not just milk jugs and water bottles.
But unfortunately there is not any money to be made, its cheaper to make new.
I would actually support a Govt subsidy program for plastic recycling. Makes way more since to me than ethanol gas.

there are some news articles I saw today about alarming amounts of plastic particles in baby doo-doo. :(

chrisn1818

Walk around a public dove field!!! Idiots leave hulls or their water bottles/coke cans and everything else. I just filled my entire dove stool with hulls, she’ll boxes and bottles.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Dick's Creek trash leaving their creek trash at Chestatee WMA just before hunting season...

Screenshot_20210925-110236_Photos.jpg

Attachments

• 20210912_153618.jpg
    20210912_153618.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 0