Why Are People So Amazingly Disrespectful Of Our Waters and Environment?

tr21

It is highly annoying, and damaging to the environment and wildlife. However, I'd take the stone stacking any day over the garbage.

On our lease when they thinned recently, they drained oil on one of our plots and left the oil containers and oil filters in the field...

If I could get a hold of that logger, I'd give him a piece of mind and maybe take a dump in the cab of equipment...why mess up our toilets?
pick up the containers and filters, then plow and plant chufa we had a plot that oil was coating the tractor tires on every pass. it has been the best field we've had in our 15yrs of planting chufa's, it came back on it's own over 4 yrs and we couldn't figure out how because the turkey's were wearing it out. we plant 4 plots a year and none has ever done this good !

Tight Lines

pick up the containers and filters, then plow and plant chufa we had a plot that oil was coating the tractor tires on every pass. it has been the best field we've had in our 15yrs of planting chufa's, it came back on it's own over 4 yrs and we couldn't figure out how because the turkey's were wearing it out. we plant 4 plots a year and none has ever done this good !
That's awesome! Yeah, I pick up all the trash they leave...bottles, cans, filter, you name it...I can't walk past it...

OwlRNothing

Well, to start with - Marben is heavily fished. I don't know if it's the most used PFA in GA, but I'd imagine that it has to be up near the top. Second, it's pretty close to Atlanta, not far from Macon and Milledgeville - and if you see the DNR there, it's usually in the middle of the day and not when people are leaving around dark. Third, and there's no denying this - people don't teach their kids NOT to litter. Kids see mom and dad throwing litter out of their crossover and think that trash goes out the window. Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not really just a litter problem, it's a "how some people choose to raise their kids" problem and that kind of parenting rears it's considerably ugly head in far more places than just where they throw down their bait cups and used line, unfortunately. So, all that said and knowing that litter around fishing spots and natural areas is a problem - it's hard to be really upset about this going down at Marben or any other PFA. It's like going to India and expecting the bus not to be crowded or walking down the street in Gatlinburg, TN and expecting to have it all to yourself. The silver lining to this is that all those people who don't care anything about how they leave the great outdoors are at least doing their damage in a controlled environment and not spread out all over God's creation. So, there is that at least.

Tight Lines

Well, to start with - Marben is heavily fished. I don't know if it's the most used PFA in GA, but I'd imagine that it has to be up near the top. Second, it's pretty close to Atlanta, not far from Macon and Milledgeville - and if you see the DNR there, it's usually in the middle of the day and not when people are leaving around dark. Third, and there's no denying this - people don't teach their kids NOT to litter. Kids see mom and dad throwing litter out of their crossover and think that trash goes out the window. Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not really just a litter problem, it's a "how some people choose to raise their kids" problem and that kind of parenting rears it's considerably ugly head in far more places than just where they throw down their bait cups and used line, unfortunately. So, all that said and knowing that litter around fishing spots and natural areas is a problem - it's hard to be really upset about this going down at Marben or any other PFA. It's like going to India and expecting the bus not to be crowded or walking down the street in Gatlinburg, TN and expecting to have it all to yourself. The silver lining to this is that all those people who don't care anything about how they leave the great outdoors are at least doing their damage in a controlled environment and not spread out all over God's creation. So, there is that at least.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect cleanliness. We aren’t India. These people know right from wrong they just don’t care. And I don’t care who you are you can have self respect. It costs nothing.

Bigtimber

Its not just the litter. I see people go to local fishing holes and take the limit ( or better) of fish out of it....go back the next day and do it again. Tell everyone.....and they do it too. I can imagine how good the fishery could actually be if people cared about the resource. Leave trash everywhere...take more fish than they need...drive atvs all over the shallow rivers busting up everything....just dont have any respect for anything.

OwlRNothing

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect cleanliness. We aren’t India. These people know right from wrong they just don’t care. And I don’t care who you are you can have self respect. It costs nothing.
I wasn't saying it excused the behavior. I was simply trying to shed some light on why it happens.

basshappy

BANNED
I took my 13 yo son fishing today, and we bounced around Marben PFA and got skunked...not the best day for fishing...but...

Every where we went I picked up trash, and every where we went there were empty trash cans...and there was monofilament every where...I mean like spools of it...

At one spot I just gave up because I could not carry all of the Poweraide bottles that had been thrown behind some fisherman into the underbrush...I mean like 2 dozen, all the same...

This kind of behavior just incenses me...it is just indicative of people today...could not care less for our environment...I think that plastics are going to be far worse for our world than global warming, and faster...

At least I got to teach my son about pack it in, pack it out...which he already does when we backpack and fly fish anyway...

Rant over...

View attachment 1102894
View attachment 1102895
View attachment 1102896
Awesome role model, dad. Grear to show your son what the right thing to do is. My son and I and my youngest step daughter pick up other people's trash often.
Fishermen are their own worst enemies. Why don't folks let people fish their ponds? Because the trash they leave behind.
Look what it did in Crookhaven, I mean Brookhaven. That heron got that discarded crankbait locked on its jaw, it starved to death, and the over reaction was no artificial lures, no braided line, live bait only, and mono ony up to 4lbs (I think that is the weight)! At the park with the pond there. Insane over reaction but again if fishermen picked up after themselves ....

bob4fishing

it's sad how lazy - nasty how people can be and a lot of the time a garbage can is within feet , i carry those small doggie do do bags that come in a roll in my tackle box . out in my boat always amazed whats floating usually i'll veer off and try picking it up. i ran into a guy a few years back at a county park while fishing and actually though he was a park employee but was just a citizen cleaning up the trash said how he got his exercise .