Why didn't I just stay put?

Jody Hawk

I screwed up on a gobbler yesterday morning at my club. I got off of work at 7 a.m. and arrived at my club at 7:30. I thought that I would get in a quick hunt. I walked down the logging roads stopping and calling every couple 100 yards or so. I was just about to the camp when I pulled out my Scott's Cutter and gave a loud cutt and was immediately answered by a gobble. I hurried to set up and hit the call again and he answered me. I didn't like my set up because it would be hard to get a shot at him unless he hit the logging road and came down it. He was still a ways off so I, like a fool, decided to move !!!!!! You guessed it, in a few minutes the gobbler was gobbling from my first calling spot. I went back in there this morning and sure enough his tracks were in the logging road right where I was set up. Oh well, chalk up another one for the turkey. :huh:

Jasper

Jody,

Don't feel bad. That's happened to all of us that have hunted awhile. I'm bad about not wanting to set up unless I have the perfect spot and it's cost me a few times.

It's a crazy sport- don't you just love it, though?!

Better luck next time.

wooly

Yeah...I guess it has happened to most of us at one time or another. When I first started this madness I was traveling in my mentors footsteps and we were walking and calling every so often late in the morning when a gobbler cut my mentors call off and the bird was not far away. Instead of just dropping down and leaning on the first available tree (no matter the size)...foolish me was trying to like you said fine that perfect setup. Well that bird came in like he had afterburners on, and of course catching me by surprise he left with those afterburners on too. :banginghe Don't get me wrong...I firmly believe in having as perfect a setup as you can get OR make. But in a walking and calling case I have learned my lesson.
Ain't it fun though?
Good luck!

short stop

jODY at least you didnt stand up and see him lookin at you from 20 yrds . :hammers: . happend to me already about 1 week ago --- oh well new day new bird--SS

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
Advise for Jody

Jody you had better get rid of that "ramblin wreck" attitude and settle down like a "junk yard dog" to get them gobblin pesky critters. :D :D :yeah:

Jody Hawk

Again this morning I moved and it could have spelled disaster !!!!!!!!!! I walked down a logging road and cutt on my box and heard one answer me. I sat up and called and never heard him gobble again. The whole time that I am sitting there I heard one gobbling down on the river several hundred yards away. I decide to make a move to the bird on the river since he was gobbling at crows and sounded pretty hot. When I stood up there are four jakes standing 40 yards away in the logging road looking at me. I am sure that one of those jakes was the bird that I heard gobble the first time. I don't shoot jakes so that didn't bother me but I can't help but wonder what I'd done if that had been four longbeards standing in the road. I could have kicked my own tail for getting up !!!!!!!!! :huh:

Al33

Jody,

To specifically answer your question; "Why didn't I just stay put?", ..... 'cause you are an eager beaver dude. :bounce:

I have a hard time making myself stay put. Seems like I always see a better strategy and make a move. I have swapped places with a tom on a few occassions. :bounce: It's hard to stick to common sense approaches when you are excited about a bird gobbling his dang fool head off and convincing you he is leaving town. :eek: Patience is a virtue I have not mastered very well. :rolleyes: