Why do folks name the deer and turkeys that they hunt?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I guess I must be strange when it comes to hunting because I've never once named a deer or turkey that I was hunting. It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

The way I associate them is more by location and the year. For instance, I might call one "that 6 point I shot in the food plot last year" or something like that. About as original as I'll get is to associate them by color like "that red doe" or "that spike with the black stripe down his back". The thought of naming that spike "pepe lapew" because he had a black stripe on his back just never made sense to me.

Folks that name the animals you hunt, can you tell me some of the reasons you like to do that?

Tight Lines

I don't name my weapons...and I don't name turkeys...but I do name distinct deer with racks that I can identify...also, it helps hunters that don't know how to age on the hoof know the age of the deer...

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I don't name my weapons...and I don't name turkeys...but I do name distinct deer with racks that I can identify...also, it helps hunters that don't know how to age on the hoof know the age of the deer...
That makes sense so I can see why you would.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Different strokes. Do it your way and have a great time.

Tight Lines

For instance, this was Old Janky...definitely an old deer and we never saw him on the stand...but he would have been a cool trophy...
1596232752775.jpeg

And we also named the hogs for fun...

IMG_0979.JPG

We called this sow Oreo and the piglets Oreo Bites...

:)

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
ID when talking to someone else. Had an old fella years ago that wouldn't give you road names. He'd say.."go down by the house with the white picket fence and when you get to the big oak tree hanging over the road, turn left".

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I guess I get naming ones that have unique characteristics just for conversation, like “the drop tine” or “big 6,” but this stuff on TV cracks me up. “Willie is going after “Jose Longshanks” or “the Shredder” this season.”
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Crazy names on these TV shows crack me up! I ain't judging folks, I just think it's funny and can't imagine doing it myself.

bullgator

I call them all Chad...

Oh, and a Turkey that struts over by my buddy’s house is named Randy.
After you shoot them......they’re a hanging Chad? :huh: