Why I Attend WFR Church and Recommend you Check us Out

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That's not my view. I've learned to appreciate humility in not making every point of doctrinal disagreement into a litmus test. Scripture tells us explicitly what the most important points of doctrine are, and those points ARE a litmus test for me. (See 1 Cor 15)

What is "false doctrine"? Any point of Biblical teaching you disagree with?

Consider that Paul accepted doctrinal disagreements, writing to the Philippians, "And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you." If we are diligent like the Bereans, searching the Scriptures daily to see if what the preachers say is true, then God will wash us through his word and we will become more and more like Jesus. For many believers, their doctrine is far ahead of their character. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. Experience has taught me it's better to trust brothers whose character is ahead of their doctrine.

Paul also wrote to the Corinthians, "No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval." But Paul was clear (1 Cor 13) that love among the Corinthians was more important than doctrinal uniformity. He then laid out the most important doctrines.

From a practical viewpoint, I am much more likely to agree 100% with a church's statement of faith if it is closer to 500 words long and sticks to the most important doctrines. By the time a church's statement of faith is 5000 words long (close to the Baptist Faith and Message), there will be a few points of disagreement. If those aren't show stoppers for them, then they aren't show stoppers for me either. Most Southern Baptist preachers don't have 100% agreement with that document, and the SBC does not expect them to.
This was your view “On Judgement Day, our character will matter more than our doctrine”

But, no, a false doctrine isn’t anything I disagree with - it’s anything that disagrees with the Gospel. Within that are ALSO multiple doctrines; there’s a way that seems right………., I can think of Donnie Swaggart making fun of Pentecostals speaking in tongues and receiving the Holy Ghost, now he’ll Yabba Dabba do during his preaching saying that receiving the Holy Ghost is another level of salvation -
He’s not the only one preaching multiple doctrines of salvation.

All I’m saying is there’s a lot of finger pointing saying “you’re doctrine isn’t right, mine is”.

Doctrine is important.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Wouldn't a false gospel also be a Church whose members were arrogant and bold? A group that wasn't meek and humble? A group that isn't willing to help when they see someone in need?
Members that show compassion to all and is more Spiritual than political? A Church that isn't celebrity lead but lead by the Spirit?
A Church whose member are not seeking power or fame? A Church that helps others and gives all that Glory to God and not self? Not for human pride but for God?
In other words, isn't part of the gospel also acting more like Christ who said he does the will of his Father?
While I do see the statement about the free donut eaters, I can also see the side of the "i'm a bold, and loud person full of pride who is doing stuff for self and not God" or the "I'm helping every person by giving a little bit of money." or "I say I'm a fair an honest person but my actions don't exactly show it."
I guess I'm talking about the extremes of what the Gospel actually is and how Christ acted when he was walking the earth compared to what some Church member are today.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to me like if God is all-powerful, and wanted folks to follow a certain set of rules and behaviors, He would write out a universal list in plain language that could be understood by everyone, instead of a bunch of ambiguous stuff that no dozen people can agree about. We half half a dozen major religions, with hundreds of denominations inside of some, because nobody can agree on what God wants, even with the Bible there, along with other books that are revered just as much by their respective groups. You can't hardly find a single church where all the members agree about what the proper doctrine is. It wouldn't be that hard for the Lord, I don't think, and would save an awful lot of confusion. I think human nature causes people to prefer to argue about details instead of working together for the common good, seems like.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Seems to me like if God is all-powerful, and wanted folks to follow a certain set of rules and behaviors, He would write out a universal list in plain language that could be understood by everyone, instead of a bunch of ambiguous stuff that no dozen people can agree about. We half half a dozen major religions, with hundreds of denominations inside of some, because nobody can agree on what God wants, even with the Bible there, along with other books that are revered just as much by their respective groups. You can't hardly find a single church where all the members agree about what the proper doctrine is. It wouldn't be that hard for the Lord, I don't think, and would save an awful lot of confusion. I think human nature causes people to prefer to argue about details instead of working together for the common good, seems like.
You pointed it out exactly. It's not God's message so much as it is human nature. If the Lord sent just one message to us like, "Don't eat soap my children", then the first thing most humans will do is start thinking of exceptions to the Lord's command not to eat soap. We can't help ourselves, because the Lord gave us free will.

Artfuldodger

Plus the purpose that the rules given was to show us that man could not keep them and thus needed a Savior.
This beginning with Adam. He had to be shown that he could not keep the Covenant. The Word was with God standing by for his mission way before Adam was ever created.

It's not like the Law was plan A and if man failed God would send plan B. God already knew what man would do before he created him.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Thanks for posting this. Washer sums up my view of the relative importance of various doctrines better than I have in the few minutes following this link:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The Son is the full epistle. All the Bible is solely for the purpose of demonstrating the testimony of that living epistle. He is life.

You do far more damage to your cause than you help it with your twisted and confusing posts. And you are too dense to even realize it. Open your eyes and see for yourself.

LittleDrummerBoy

It seems to me that church hopping is a sign of instability.
We are to be rooted & grounded.

COVID closures were the sign of instability. I just recognized it for what it was. I found a church that stayed open and chose not to return to those that closed.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
COVID closures were the sign of instability. I just recognized it for what it was. I found a church that stayed open and chose not to return to those that closed.
We never closed either. Moved to outside services. Slowly phased back inside.

LittleDrummerBoy

What do you think about this?

I ask because I’d be shocked if the WFR elders held a different view.

I'm a practical cessationist also regarding the "gift on tongues" as I've most often witnessed it in charismatic circles. I find nothing in the babbling that gives evidence of the Holy Spirit's work without real evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit in the lives of those making claims of Holy Spirit "baptism."

But I, like the WFR elders, am willing to take a look at the fruit in a person's life, and I will NOT disobey the Biblical imperative "do not forbid speaking in tongues." They have preached from the pulpit that they see Biblical tongues mostly as an intelligible language (that is still available today for preaching to foreign audiences), but they do not forbid members from exercising a private prayer language.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I'm a practical cessationist also regarding the "gift on tongues" as I've most often witnessed it in charismatic circles. I find nothing in the babbling that gives evidence of the Holy Spirit's work without real evidence of the fruit of the Holy Spirit in the lives of those making claims of Holy Spirit "baptism."

But I, like the WFR elders, are willing to take a look at the fruit in a person's life, and I will NOT disobey the Biblical imperative "do not forbid speaking in tongues." They have preached from the pulpit that they see Biblical tongues mostly as an intelligible language (that is still available today for preaching to foreign audiences), but they do not forbid members from exercising a private prayer language.
I've always found it interesting, and perhaps telling, that Paul spoke of many spiritual gifts but speaking in tongues and understanding it were two of the most visible ones that people display in church. He also said that without love, these gifts are essentially false, and that's how I try to interpret if someone is genuine or not in these gifts.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Covid closures were a sign of common sense. But, who actually closed permanently? Many adjusted to how they conducted services. Using common sense to prevent spreading any virus should not be compared to church hopping.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Some folks worry about things that never cross my mind. I go to church to celebrate Christ, make my confession, and be blessed through the sacraments. I pray and talk to God other times but it’s not the same as church services. In layman's terms when your with the church it takes it to the next level.

brutally honest

I'm a practical cessationist also regarding the "gift on tongues" ...

Well, I'm shocked. :huh:

I gave up a long time ago trying to make heads or tails out of Israel's posts. I'm about at that point with you. Trying to identify any consistent or coherent theology in your posts has been completely futile. As I said before, if you have a guiding principle in your theology, it seems to be "whatever".

You've been worshipping with (at least) four different churches for the last few years. I hope WFR is your last, but I would not be surprised if it's just the first of the next seventeen. ::ke:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Wow I'm gone for a few days and this thread has splintered into about fifty-seven, eleven different discussions. Apparently Israel's "flight of ideas" is contagious. ::gone: