Why is a modern muzzleloader more challenging than modern rifle and cartridge, center-fire?

LovinOutside

If season came in for all weapons at the same time there wouldn’t be very many bow hunters or muzzleloader hunters around anymore.
The lobbyist for the manufacturing industry would fight a one season for any type of weapon as the market for bows and in lines would crash.
Do you think that are really that many muzzleloader hunters?

lampern

We only have a "primitive weapons" season because enough hunters pressured the state to create it. After the season was created there was a lot of pressure to allow scopes. This season really has no biological relevance to deer harvest compared to other weapon types.

So why did you OK air guns during this season if its supposed to be for muzzleloading guns only?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So why did you OK air guns during this season if its supposed to be for muzzleloading guns only?
Because there was no biological issue and people wanted it. If everyone wanted to do away with the primitive weapons season and make it all weapons I would support that too. None of it impacts my ability to properly manage the deer population, so it boils down to what the public wants.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If season came in for all weapons at the same time there wouldn’t be very many bow hunters or muzzleloader hunters around anymore.
The lobbyist for the manufacturing industry would fight a one season for any type of weapon as the market for bows and in lines would crash.
Where do u get this info. Hunters on here have had complaints since this forum started. Yea ML s have improved. Still have to sight it in. Find primers powder of sone kind and a projectile. This opportunity is available for anyone that wants to try it. Same as bow hunting. It’s a sport and many enjoy it. If u shoot a rifle well your season starts last. It’s all meant to be enjoyed. We have a very long season with a good bag limit. Many WMAs to hunt if u want.
Y’all hunt safe.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Because there was no biological issue and people wanted it. If everyone wanted to do away with the primitive weapons season and make it all weapons I would support that too. None of it impacts my ability to properly manage the deer population, so it boils down to what the public wants.
I line the 3 phases. Seems to be line a Tradition. Bow hunters no orange for the 1st. Then the one who like a ML with youth week.then we get to break out the magnums. :)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I'm thinking about going Wile E Coyote on one using a pile of bait, a safe, a pulley, and a long rope! :LOL:

No-Can-Do. Safes ain't listed among the weapons legal for taking deerzies. LOL

Now my wanting to take one with a 1862 6 pounder mountain howitzer is perfectly legal, alls I gots ta do is borrow the weapon.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Where do u get this info. Hunters on here have had complaints since this forum started. Yea ML s have improved. Still have to sight it in. Find primers powder of sone kind and a projectile. This opportunity is available for anyone that wants to try it. Same as bow hunting. It’s a sport and many enjoy it. If u shoot a rifle well your season starts last. It’s all meant to be enjoyed. We have a very long season with a good bag limit. Many WMAs to hunt if u want.
Y’all hunt safe.
I hunt with traditional bows or traditional muzzleloaders just about the whole season. I myself would just as soon have one season for whatever weapons you choose to use. Stop a lot of bickering. I could care less what someone used. Start season on October 1stand end January 1st for most of the state SWGA needs their season to go thru January 15 th

ol bob

A muzzleloader loads from the muzzle, makes no difference what it looks like or what sights or on it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This is my opinion only. If a weapon has iron or steel on it anywhere, it`s not a primitive weapon to me. Only those weapons made from wood, stone, bone, ivory, antler, horn, or a combination of these things are primitive. Per the Stone Age.

JR924

To say if a inline is just as good as a rife where you hunt (range, cover, size of game, can you get a good rest ext) plus the ability, practice, luck and confidence of the shooter. Note many people work so cannot practice as much as they would like or just not serious hunters or shooters. For them, I believe a modern inline is harder to shoot accurately than a firearm unless you hunt say less than 100 yards. but even then for some, too far.

I have a Knight Disc Elite which use to win the muzzleloading competitions all the time till Knight switched the competition team to the Revolution. Chuck Hawks at one time called the Knight Disc Elite. most accurate muzzle loader out of the box. Knight now carries a 200 yard 1 MOA guaranttee on their rifles on a load they develop which I am sure my gun can achieve with a a good shooter and using Precision Rifle Bullets. However for my hunting situations, a Matchlock or even a large rock would have yielded the same dead deer as my Knight Disc Elite accomplished. I just like to buy guns and hunting gear so I support many different seasons so I can buy more stuff.

With a smokepole you are essentially hunting with a single shot rifle so you have to pick and choose your shot carefully. Yes, you 'can' reload it but it is much slower than working a bolt or lever action. I actually gave up using a semi-auto years ago just because I never used it for more than one shot. After having 2 failed spinal surgeries I'm now limited to mostly hunting from my back porch and in order to give the deer a bit more 'fairness' I've now decided to use my T/C Impact only. Of course, the local deer population here won't ever bother showing up until I take it back nside and put it up in the safe ...

01Foreman400

Staff member
The good news for all of us is you can hunt with any legal muzzleloader setup you want during primitive weapon season and anytime during rifle season. The bad news for some of y’all is you’re still gonna be worried about what others are hunting with.

lampern

Now is your chance to push for a special muzzleloader season: