Why is it so hard to find a new club member?

Mako22

BANNED
So far I’ve added it on here and all the FB hunting pages I’m on and quite a few say their interested but as soon as you mention the price they never respond or they have something smart to say. We have a guy now that’s got past the money part and if he falls through I’ll try Craigslist
I started running ads on Craigslist in the sporting goods section two days after Christmas and always had a couple new members paid up and in by middle of January. By mid March I had all the money in and spots filled every year. Get them early while they are still primed for hunting and if they can pay in January you know they aren't tax return hunters.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the ridiculous rules that a lot of them have are the reason I wouldn't pay a bunch of money to hunt on a club.

That’s what everyone says and I use to say the same thing but when I get off work and go to our club on a Friday afternoon I know that no one has hunted my stand all week like some places. I also that all the ** from others in the club will be left at the paved road.theres sometimes the gate won’t be opened for a couple weeks at the time and to me it’s worth every penny

I agree but for 1500 I can go to Wyoming for a week for antelope and mule deer and really leave it all behind

sghoghunter

Our rules
One thing to keep in mind - if you want 100 acres per man, that basically automatically means the dues are gonna be $12-1500 per member.

Not much decent ground is going to be had for much less than $12 to $15 per acre.

This is before you pay the insurance, buy any landowner gifts, put in food plots, plant any trees, fix any gates, buy any locks and chains, PM any tractors, buy a new water hose.... the list goes on and on.

We have decent land and I don’t mind telling you that we average $14.93 per acre - on 6 different tracts.

Yes, this is more than some can or will pay.

Yes, there will always be a market for quality - and this includes experiences.

Best of luck to all....

Ours is 13.90 for 750 ac and trying for 6 this yr,5 last yr

Jim Boyd

I agree but for 1500 I can go to Wyoming for a week for antelope and mule deer and really leave it all behind

If you can do Wyoming for a week for $1500 - including expenses - that would be a giant bargain.

I hope you do and hope you post up some awesome pics!

That is some awesome country!!!!

Jim Boyd

We collect our dues right at the New Year and pay all leases in January.

We don’t collect the food plot money then - just the lease fees ( for us, $1575 ).

Been 10 years now and all is good.

HavocLover

Lately I’ve noticed a pattern change in my member “recruitment” if you will. Just a few years ago it would all be totally separate individuals. Complete strangers. Over the last few years it’s teams/buddies. Whether it be family (cousins and such) or just life long friends. That being said, if you have 2 openings and they have 3+ people wanting to join, that could be a deal breaker.

I’ve also realize just how fragile the membership relationship is. I guess it’s like anything in life though. But when you’re in their pocket for $1k or more each year, the smallest thing can make them have a change of heart.

Also, for most hunting is extremely seasonal. There’s still a lot of guys that only think about hunting season- while it’s hunting season. It’d be a lot like trying to sell a boat in December. You’re hard pressed find members when everyone is in summer time vacation mode and whatnot. Some aren’t wired like the rest of us and think about it as a year long ordeal.

I think social media has hurt as well. Everyone wants a hero pic and people get selfish. If you’re on a place that’s trying to grow GOOD deer you have absolutely got to get comfortable with the idea there’s going to be some years you might not kill a buck. 1-2 years of not killing a buck and folks start getting a bad taste in their mouths. Mainly outta jealousy and envy I think, cause they want that hero pic, the other member was able to get... but it’s the world we’re living in.

The prices continue to go up and I don’t ever think that’s going to stop. I looked over the last few years of lease agreements I have on file, and they have went up $1k over 5 years. Without heads up or anything, I don’t know until I get it in the mail. But I still can’t wrap my head around these guys cramming folks on small tracts. I can’t afford a lot, but I don’t might coughing up the money where it’s due... I love the 10% rule. 1300 acres, 13 members, etc. I cringe when I see these ads wanting 15+ members on 800 acres and such.

Big7

The Oracle
For me the price of leases has gotten outrageous for a safe hunting club. I’m not spending 1500 to hunt Georgia. It’s simply not worth it.
I'm not spending that kind of money in any club. Period. It's not a matter of having to money. It's a matter of getting shafted.

A good bit MORE money could be spent on a guided trip to Alaska or maybe Canada. I'd be a LOT happier doing that than being in some stupid club. No way I'd even think about joining ANY club that didn't go by the state laws and bag limits. Those "rules" with fines for missing inside by a half inch are insane. Not to mention one buck this, 1/2 a buck that, etc... Anyhooo... You get my message, hopefully.

For that much money, you can buy a lot of meat, even venison, which I love to eat.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We have a good group. Think I have 2 joining that will make great members.
One joining said something I liked. Didn’t realize I was doing it.
He said u don’t have many 4 wheeler trails through the woods.
We have a few club stands. Some years with members. Nice deer get taken. Life happens they get out. The next year u can’t see a deer out of those stands. The new hunter wants to go deeper around that stand. Get to where the deer are. Not as many killed by anyone with that hunter there. He goes everywhere deeper. Scouting durning season and so on.
It’s true. One bad apple spoils the barrel.
I realize I grew up in the woods and most hunters have not.

As far as finding members. It is getting harder if you try to maintain around 100 acres per member. It cost now.
What I find interesting is the say 500 acre club with 20 members that they say is QDMA. It’s cheaper and folks get in.
Money is a issue !
By the way. My club has a high deer population. They are smarter than the average hunter ! They are everywhere & nowhere at the same time.
Good luck hunting.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm not spending that kind of money in any club. Period. It's not a matter of having to money. It's a matter of getting shafted.

A good bit MORE money could be spent on a guided trip to Alaska or maybe Canada. I'd be a LOT happier doing that than being in some stupid club. No way I'd even think about joining ANY club that didn't go by the state laws and bag limits. Those "rules" with fines for missing inside by a half inch are insane. Not to mention one buck this, 1/2 a buck that, etc... Anyhooo... You get my message, hopefully.

For that much money, you can buy a lot of meat, even venison, which I love to eat.

You know I say a mature deer. I say I’d like to see a good 8pt.
I find it’s a few members that start saying. Big Bucks !!! Let’s manage for Big Bucks !!
I have a few around here. Again they smarter than the average hunter. The average hunter would do best to sit more and venture less. We have no fines. Some members in the past have asked for that.
I want a hunter that sticks with a area that learns a area and hunts it. A hunter that has ethics !

Big7

The Oracle
You know I say a mature deer. I say I’d like to see a good 8pt.
I find it’s a few members that start saying. Big Bucks !!! Let’s manage for Big Bucks !!
I have a few around here. Again they smarter than the average hunter. The average hunter would do best to sit more and venture less. We have no fines. Some members in the past have asked for that.
I want a hunter that sticks with a area that learns a area and hunts it. A hunter that has ethics !
Yep... I like to have 1, only one, designated area per hunter. After every member has a "spot", the rest should be open or pin in, pin out. NO other member should even think about going to someone's area. Regardless if the member is hunting there at the time or not.?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This is what I did. Bought my own land. Got tired of the cost and all the drama.
I got 50ty acres by our club. You know with little pressure here we see a lot of deer. All sizes.
I have a few stands the wife and grandkids hunt.
This year we watched out the kitchen window while my wife shot a doe with her crossbow.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yep... I like to have 1, only one, designated area per hunter. After every member has a "spot", the rest should be open or pin in, pin out. NO other member should even think about going to someone's area. Regardless if the member is hunting there at the time or not.?
I have some that start out with a spot and never hunt it much. They ran the deee off. Then they go other areas and forget the respect part is someone stand. Cause they WANT a big buck.
I’ve seen hunters get the best spot and not get a deer. Well Ol joe gets in and has what is said the worst spot. Ol joe gets a couple. Next thing u know ! Ol joe is in the honey hole.

Big7

The Oracle
I have some that start out with a spot and never hunt it much. They ran the deee off. Then they go other areas and forget the respect part is someone stand. Cause they WANT a big buck.
I’ve seen hunters get the best spot and not get a deer. Well Ol joe gets in and has what is said the worst spot. Ol joe gets a couple. Next thing u know ! Ol joe is in the honey hole.
EXACTLY..
The club I joined in Warren County had been established 25+ years. Anyhooo... They "put" me in what they thought was the "gar hole". I fixed that spot up real good. I was killing quality deer like it was going out of style.. Guess I showed them ehhh.?

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A good camp area cost money. My camp this week with county water and power. About 80ty dollars with no one there. I have a real septic in the ground and about 6 sites to hook up. Skinning shed.
I’m looking at 800 a year there for just having the power and water to it.
Hunting and hunting camps cost.