Why the size restrictions on traps?

Koltan

Does anyone know the reasoning why 5.75” is the limit on traps? Just curious. I was hunting in KS earlier this year and a trapper there laughed at our size restrictions

OleRed15

Some anti-fur person or group probably convinced DNR back many moons ago that a trap bigger than 5.75 or #2 size trap was inhumane and/or hurting the animals that were caught in them. Which we all know is nonsense but I’m sure that regulation is older than I am so no real way of knowing

buckpasser

Seems pretty stupid to limit it where they do to me. I wonder how many illegal sized traps are set in GA each year? Im guessing more than a few.

A friend in middle GA said his best friend (game warden) told him he “don’t mess with no trappers!” Unless there was a gross violation or something else involved I’d hope they all would leave trappers alone for the most part.

furtaker

Probably because of domestics would be my guess. I think the states out West where there isn't much human and pet civilization are pretty liberal on trapping regulations.

I wish they would change it to 6" inside but it will probably never happen. Some states require rubber jaws, only 2 coils, etc. That would suck worse.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
It was changed in 1996 .It I was a compromise .

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
What was it before '96?
I don,t know .That is what I remember reading back in the late 90s,Seems like it had something to do with a small child stepping in a trap and hurting their ankle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's 7 1/2" here in NC.