Wi Fi Boosters

FootLongDawg

Anyone use a WiFi booster in your house to prevent slow start ups or dead zones? My router is on the other side of my house and sometimes I experience slow starts. What units have you used that you think definetly helped. Would like to keep it around $100.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I took an older router, and hardwired the two together through the attic with cat5. The main router is xxxx, and the second one is xxxx-ext (for extended). Set them both up with the same password, so they're easy to switch from one to the other when I get to the other end of the house. The ext router is actually up in the attic, over my family room, so anywhere on that end of the house, it has a much stronger signal than the original.

Took a minute to set up, but found several you tube videos on how to do it. I'm not super techy, and was able to do it, no problem. Works like a champ.

I've tried the wi-fi extenders that plug into an outlet. Never had much luck with them. I had the old router, and a roll of cat5, so it cost me $0.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Not sure what you have as a router, but I am so frugal, I stick with Linksys refurbished. I was having range issues with my old E2500 600N, and I found a deal on a newer EA5800 dual band/antenna router refurbished for $ 19.99 delivered.

I planned to take the old one, set it in bridge mode as mentioned above and put it in the weakest end of the house. The new EA5800 on 2.4 GHz had such amazingly better range, that I scrapped the idea and ran the whole house on the one new router placed at the end of the house in the office space.
Linksys router EA5800 refurbished

I even did a walk test with an online streaming radio, which wouldn't stay connected past the front porch on the old router. With the new router, I stopped walking when I had left the front yard, crossed the road, and into the neighbor's hay field, without losing signal. Game on...