Wife walking in the dark

reflexman

Snake Dodger
ye hate when you get up at 4am get dressed get your gun or bow ready ect .Then your tiptoeing through the woods almost to your favorite stand n theirs mrs fancy pants just blowin up a storm :(

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I prefer being in my stand before daylight. Always been this way. I just like being already set up and watching the light as it creeps in. When I use a light, I'm not shinning it all over the place, only towards the ground ahead of me. I carry a small and dim pocket light, just for this. You definitely want to use a light during the warmer days, to help spot any snakes that may be laying on your trail.

Mako22

BANNED
I actually enjoy walking to the stands in the dark with a high powered rifle in hand. Its like I'm back on the Kuwaiti border at the berm doing a 3 hour watch with light discipline orders in place. Iraqi recon is reported to be active and Im looking to smoke one with my rifle.

nmurph

I use a small light and put the head in my balled up fist. I make a tiny hole bw my thumb and index finger and only let out a very tiny diffuse beam. It stays directed immediately in front of where I'm walking. Then again, I'm hunting areas I've hunted for decades and have zero chance of someone else being in the woods near my stands. If it's a bright moon and the weather is too cool for snakes, I'll walk in without a light. Give yourself 5 minutes of no light and it's unreal how well you can see in the dark.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I use a small light and put the head in my balled up fist. I make a tiny hole bw my thumb and index finger and only let out a very tiny diffuse beam. It stays directed immediately in front of where I'm walking. Then again, I'm hunting areas I've hunted for decades and have zero chance of someone else being in the woods near my stands. If it's a bright moon and the weather is too cool for snakes, I'll walk in without a light. Give yourself 5 minutes of no light and it's unreal how well you can see in the dark.
I do the exact same things as you. If I've been in and out of an area several times, I can go in and out without a light. I do always use a light on public land.

Nothing like easing along in the dark with dead silence, no light on, then have a pack of coyotes explode into a howl somewhere very close by. It's a neat experience, but if that don't cause the hair to stand up on your neck, I don't know what will. Light usually comes on right afterwards. :bounce:

Lilly001

In Fl I always cut a stick to hold out in front of me.
Nothing like walking face first into a banana spider in the dark.
In Ga, on my place, most of the trails are groomed by a bush hog so little light is needed.

phillips david 123

I use a green light and get on stand about 45 min before light. The green light don't spook the deer bad and getting on stand before light gives the woods time to settle before light.

jbarron

BANNED
I use a green light and get on stand about 45 min before light. The green light don't spook the deer bad and getting on stand before light gives the woods time to settle before light.

Me too

CrossCentered

Also, do you actually only hunt in one spot all year?
Not sure why she doesn't want to use a flashlight to walk in? Afraid it will spook deer? Get a red light instead. I have one that is bright white LED, then switches to blue or red. Red is best for walking in the dark with minimal disturbing of wildlife.

Rosewood
Walk her to her stand or sit together
I have 3 spots I will be hunting this year, but last year I only had 1 spot. Also we used to walk and sit together, but she is pretty independent and wants to prove herself. I also use a light myself, I also get to the stand 1 hour before light. I get in quieter, quicker and less likely to be shot with a light. She just said she thought she would be stealthy to walk in with those.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3 spots I will be hunting this year, but last year I only had 1 spot. Also we used to walk and sit together, but she is pretty independent and wants to prove herself. I also use a light myself, I also get to the stand 1 hour before light. I get in quieter, quicker and less likely to be shot with a light. She just said she thought she would be stealthy to walk in with those.
I usually try not to hunt one spot more than two days in a row. I kill most of the deer I kill the first time I sit a spot. And those solar lights are gonna make a big change in the natural order of that spot. If I was only hunting one spot, I would want to cause the least disturbance that I possibly could.

Hornet22

ROMEO
I only use my flasherlite when Imma coming out after dark. I genery put it over my right shoulder, da Hornet is on my left, and shine it behind mysef; that keeps da boogyman from sneakin up onya on the way back to the truck. I'm serious.:rockon:

:cheers:

rosewood

I only use my flasherlite when Imma coming out after dark. I genery put it over my right shoulder, da Hornet is on my left, and shine it behind mysef; that keeps da boogyman from sneakin up onya on the way back to the truck. I'm serious.:rockon:

:cheers:
Would that be a k-hornet?

Lead Poison

She/we are waaaay over-thinking this. You simply cannot beat a deer's senses. Even if she walks in complete darkness, if a deer is in the area it WILL know you are there, regardless if you use a flashlight or not.

I firmly believe the use of a flashlight can actually minimize your chances of spooking a deer. It allows you to find your way safely and walk in more quiet than stumbling to the stand in darkness.

A flashlight helps in seeing a snake where you step. I want my wife to know what is in her path. I do NOT want her stepping on a rattlesnake, copperhead or moccasin!

Just use a flashlight and stop worrying so much.

delacroix

BANNED
Please don't let my wife read this. I have her convinced to hunt midday on full moons. It works and makes life easier.

I think unless you go in an hour before you might as well slip in at daylight, but I'm not a girl. Women often have poor night vision. We don't see the way they do so we don't get it. Low light we can walk in just fine, they can't see straight.

All I can say is deer dont notice the red lights as much. I still wouldn't do it.

transfixer

I do this more and more every year. I find that I blow a lot less deer out easing in just at daylight. And sometimes I shoot a deer while sneaking in.

I've been doing this for years now, occassionally I'll see deer on the way in, but likely would have spooked them away if going in at dark with a light anyway, I've actually had quite a few chances for shots on the way in doing it that way, I've not seen any drawbacks to going in as light is breaking, sitting in the dark for thirty mins to an hour before daybreak makes no sense to me.