Wife's Gift

Rabun

My neighbor's wife stopped by and asked me a few questions regarding getting started in fly fishing. She wants to get her husband a surprise fly fishing "starter kit" but had no idea what to get him...nor do I, but I suggested she might want to get him a bank of lessons to start with and then he could figure out the best set up based on what he wants to fish for and his abilities. I was going to steer her toward The Fish Hawk. Is this good advice for her?

Coenen

Fish Hawk has a great rep, never been there.
I've hit Alpharetta Outfitters for some gear here recently, and they've taken great care of me. I don't think you could go wrong with either place.

Definitely a good idea for him to get a feel for what he wants to fish for before taking the plunge on a set up. Although, a 9ft 5-weight seems to be pretty standard as a starting point for a range of basic freshwater applications.

huntfish

Why not do a Gilligan's Special at Unicoi Outfitters in Helen. A 3 hour tour, including lessons on the water. They provide all the gear.

BTW, a 9 foot rod would be sufficient for large water, but in small trout streams, I'm using a 7', 3 weight. and sometimes even smaller.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Probably not a bad idea to hit up a shop or guide. They will likely end up trying to sell him something much more expensive than he really needs, but that's better than getting junk. There are a lot of good quality starter combos out there that won't break the bank, like the Redington Classic Trout, or some of the better Cabela's outfits.

Why not do a Gilligan's Special at Unicoi Outfitters in Helen. A 3 hour tour, including lessons on the water. They provide all the gear.

BTW, a 9 foot rod would be sufficient for large water, but in small trout streams, I'm using a 7', 3 weight. and sometimes even smaller.
It's a personal choice, but I never go shorter than 8', even on the smallest, most rhododendron choked streams. Most people I know who fish smaller streams a lot feel the same. I use a 10' 3 wt on small streams often. Too much drag with those short rods, you can't keep any line off the water, and they also have a much shorter casting range with the roll casts, bow and arrow casts, and dapping that you usually have to do in small streams. A 7-foot rod would be an extreme exercise in frustration for me. It defeats the purpose of a fly rod.

huntfish

It's a personal choice, but I never go shorter than 8', even on the smallest, most rhododendron choked streams. Most people I know who fish smaller streams a lot feel the same. I use a 10' 3 wt on small streams often. Too much drag with those short rods, you can't keep any line off the water, and they also have a much shorter casting range with the roll casts, bow and arrow casts, and dapping that you usually have to do in small streams. A 7-foot rod would be an extreme exercise in frustration for me. It defeats the purpose of a fly rod.

I don't have any of those issues with the small rod, most casts aren't longer than 20 feet or so. Proper rod loading and mending can correct that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any of those issues with the small rod, most casts aren't longer than 20 feet or so. Proper rod loading and mending can correct that.
It's not the casting so much, it's the getting a drag-free drift in small streams with conflicting currents without being right on top of the fish. You don't have enough room to mend on many of those creeks, and you can't mend your way out of three current tongues with two still slicks between them. Or, at least I can't. But, I can keep my line off the water and then I don't have to worry about it. Everybody has different preferences. I hate a short rod, myself. Some people really like them.

Taxman

I have come to the conclusion that I love casting short rods in the
Smokey's. However, my own experience is that casting and catching
fish are not the same. A longer rod does help me to catch more fish
up there in those tight runs. I do hate to admit it because I sure
do make some sweet casts with that short rod!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have come to the conclusion that I love casting short rods in the
Smokey's. However, my own experience is that casting and catching
fish are not the same. A longer rod does help me to catch more fish
up there in those tight runs. I do hate to admit it because I sure
do make some sweet casts with that short rod!!!!
I used to have a sweet little 6'6" Fenwick. Great feeling, great casting little rod. But I had to struggle to catch a blame fish on it. Somebody stole it out of the back of my truck on the rez section of Raven Fork while I was over the bank flinging a spinner in a big long run. I wasn't too mad.